Searches on Sunday for Osama bin Laden spiked nearly 100,00% on Yahoo!, also making him the most-searched person of the day. Nearly 1 in 5 searches for “osama bin laden” are by teenagers, many of who grew up during the war on terrorism. 25% of searches overall for Osama came from those under 24.
Two thirds of those searching for an answer to that question were teenagers, the company says, along with some other related search statistics.
According to Yahoo’s press release: “News of Osama bin Laden’s death seemed to have struck a chord with younger folks who grew up during the war on terrorism.”
Here’s a round-up of the age-related stats that Yahoo released:
- 66% of searches for “who is osama bin laden?” were by those aged 13-17
- 40% searches on Sunday for “who killed osama bin laden” were from ages 13-20
- 33% (1 in 3) searches for “how did osama bin laden die” on Sunday were from people ages 13-17
- 25% of searches overall for Osama bin Laden came from those under 24 years old
- Nearly 20% (1 in 5) searches for “osama bin laden” are by teenagers
Top Osama Bin Laden Questions
Yahoo also compiled a list of the top questions relating to Osama bin Laden, based on search activity. These are, as of yesterday:
- Is Osama bin Laden dead?
- How did Osama bin Laden die?
- Who killed Osama bin Laden?
- How old is Osama bin Laden
- Who is Osama bin Laden
- Where was Osama bin Laden killed?
- Is Osama bin Laden dead or alive?
- How tall is Osama bin Laden?
Where Was Osama Bin Laden?
- “Pakistan map” spiked 2,594% on Sunday
- “Pakistan news” spiked 610% on Sunday
- Searches spiked “off the charts” for “Islamabad” (Pakistan’s capital) and Abbottadbad (where Osama bin Laden was found)
- Searches spiked for “osama bin laden compound,” “osama bin laden mansion” and “osama bin laden hideout”
US Patriotic-Related Searches
- “September 11th” searches went up 1,009% on Sunday
- “US Flag” searches went up 717%
- “Star Spangled Banner lyrics” went up 222% (females made up 64% of those searches)
- 50% of searches for “US flag” today on Yahoo are by ages 35-54
- Searches today for “patriotic songs” are spiking “off the charts”
- Searches have spiked for Ground Zero, the Twin Towers, and the World Trade Center
- Searches spiked “off the charts” for the 9/11 death toll and memorials
- North Dakota, Arizona, Montana, Arkansas, New Mexico, Idaho, and South Dakota showed the greatest rise of searches for Osama bin Laden in the US, though every state showed a rise
- Searches were made about Osama bin Laden relating to his biography, age, height, wife and children
- “Is it Usama or Osama” searches spiked “off the charts”
- “conspiracy theories”searches went up 114% Sunday
- Searches for “conspiracy theories” were split evenly amongst males and females, but 35% were by teenagers 13-17
- There was also a rise in searches for “9/11 conspiracy theories”
- “George W. Bush” had 466% fewer searches than for “Barack Obama”
- Searches for President Obama’s approval rating spiked 119%
[Source: Yahoo Search blog]