Yahoo! introduces over 30 new TV apps available across the Yahoo! Connected TV platform, bringing the total to more than 120 available TV apps. “Connected TV apps range in purpose from fun to functional, including social networking, streaming music, casual games, personalized financial quotes, locally relevant news, weather and sports, and more than 75,000 movies and TV shows on demand.”
New TV apps recently made available on the Yahoo! Connected TV platform, represent a variety of top brand and more niche, long tail content. Examples include:
- NHL GameCenter app makes a great companion to watching live NHL hockey on television. People can keep track of live playoff scores, stats, news, and highlights from around the league without leaving the game they are watching. Full-length archived and classic games dating back to the 1960s can also be accessed by linking an NHL Vault or NHL GameCenter LIVE subscription.
- Vimeo lets you host your videos in high quality
- BIGSTAR Movies On-Demand: People can stream from a selection of thousands of feature-length independent movies and foreign films, all for less than 17 cents a day through a monthly membership.
- Home Shopping Network Shop by Remote interactive shopping gives you the ability to purchase items using just a remote control.
- SGNL by Sony provides a close-up look at Sony’s gadgets, games, music, and movies.
- Joomeo lets you view Web-based photo and video albums in a Joomeo space on the TV.
- Ford Edge, 2012 Ford Focus, and Lincoln MKX – these Ford TV apps display information and videos about the hottest new cars from Ford. As a broadcast interactivity pilot program partner, Ford plans to integrate these TV apps with live TV commercials later this year.
- TVO Kids and TVO Internet TV – Quality educational video content for kids and grown-ups from TVO, Ontario’s public educational media organization.
- Trinity Broadcast Network lets you watch full-length feature films, specials, and TV programs from the world’s largest religious network and America’s most-watched faith channel.
- Local TV stations (20) providing on-demand local weather, news, and sports from the following markets and more:
App developers can create free or paid TV apps for the Connected TV platform. The Yahoo! Connected TV Store, featuring a gallery of for-fee TV apps, is expected to launch in the near future. Yahoo! is also preparing a pilot program for a new feature called broadcast interactivity, which’ll sync TV apps with live broadcast content, as announced at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show.
[Source: Yahoo Anecdotal]