If you like to display Quotes — as everybody loves to — here is a very nice plugin from the “jwurster”.I would like to address this nice piece of work, as 4–in-1 — i.e. because, it manages “the 4 categories of quotes” (Simpsons, Witty, Bushisms and General). Thus eliminating, the installation of 4 different plugins.
- Download: version 1.0.0 here
- Extract all the files and folders from the archive to a folder on your desktop.
- Create a folder called wp-utterquotes and move the “image directory” inside it.
- FTP you site and Copy “wp-utterquotes” to your wp-content/plugins/ directory.
- Copy the wp-utterquotes.php file to your wp-content/plugins/ directory.
- Copy the edit-utterquotes.php file to the wp-admin/ directory.
- Copy all *.CSV and insert_*.php files to your wp-content/ directory.
- Go to the Plugins section of your WordPress admin, and activate the plugin.
- Go to the Manage section, and click on “UtterQuotes.” It will create the database and would by default add a few quotes to get you started.
Now you have to decide where to stick your quotes, and modify the theme file to do it. Here’s an example for putting the quote in the sidebar like you see on this site:
(A) In your admin interface, go to the Presentation tab, then click on Theme Editor
(B) Click on the Sidebar Template link on the right hand side.
(C) Find out where you want to stick your quotes in the code, create a heading for it, then insert the following:
Graphical representation of Files Structure:
or open sidebar.php in your favorite editor and add the above code and upload the file to your site.
1. Once all is set, you can run insert_*.php, for e.g. insert_simpsons_quotes.php file from your browser window, this will import all Quotes SimpsonsQuotes.csv file.
2. Same way you can run other files to import rest of the Quotes into Database.
3. Once you complete, delete all *.CSV and insert_*.php files from wp-content/ directory.
4. Note: Once the import from a file is successfull, don’t run that file again, else you will get duplicate Quotes. In that case, you will have to manually delete all duplicate Quotes.
In addition, if you have an image file in the images folder (and you have correctly copied this folder, as directed above) by the same name as the author, the image will be displayed next to the author’s name.
This plugin supports CSS, you can enter the following CSS code in your Style.CSS file.
For more information on API’s, please read carefully, accompying read.txt file.
WP-Utterquotes, Simpson, Witty, Bushisms and General, Quotes