Guide after the jump.
- Windows Server virtualization requires an x64-based processor, hardware-assisted virtualization (AMD-V or Intel VT), and hardware data execution protection.
- Ensure your BIOS is up-to-date and has:
- Hardware Assisted Virtualization is enabled in the BIOS
- Data Execution Prevention enabled in the BIOS
- No Execute (NX) bit on AMD systems
- Execute Disable (XD) bit on Intel systems
NOTE: If any of these features were disabled in the BIOS, be sure to POWER OFF the system (not just reboot) to ensure they are properly enabled.
High Level Setup:
- Install a Full Installation of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64 Edition.
- WSV is also included with Windows Server 2008 Standard and Datacenter Editions; however, the majority of our testing has been on Enterprise Edition at this time so we recommend using the Enterprise Edition.
- Currently, WSV doesn’t work with Server Core installation, but will work with Server Core in a future release.
- Go to the following folder on the disk: ~:\Windows\wsv
- You will see two .MSU files: Windows6.0-KB939853-x64 and Windows6.0-KB939854-x64.
- Double click on Windows6.0-KB939853-x64.msu and proceed through the installation process.
- Double click on Windows6.0-KB939854-x64.msu and proceed through the installation process.
- Go to the Start menu and launch Server Manager.
- Go to the Roles Summary and click Add Roles.
- Proceed through the wizard and select to install Windows Server virtualization.
- Complete the wizard and RESTART when prompted.
- After the restart, installation will continue and complete.
- When installation is complete, you can now go to: Start Menu–>Administration Tools and launch the Windows Virtualization Management MMC Console. From the MMC, you can now create virtual machines!
NOTE: It is CRITICIAL that you perform steps 2 & 3, otherwise the option to install the Windows Server virtualization role won’t be available in the Role Manager.
Microsoft, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server Virtualization, CTP, Virtualization, Guide
Source:? TechNet Blog