Microsoft’s Josh Phillips today on Windows Phone blog shared information about the upcoming ‘Mango’ update to the Windows Phone platform. This time we have heard about updated functionality in the Music + Video Hub in Mango.
“The next release of Windows Phone introduces on-phone podcasts, new features like Smart DJ (my personal favorite), and loads of refinements and tweaks that make it easier to find and enjoy great music and video.”
Currently, Windows Phone 7 already has two unique features when compared with it’s three biggest competitors (iPhone, Android and Blackberry) – Zune Music Subscriptions and Wireless Sync. According to blog post, Windows Phone Mango is set to add a number of new features:
- Wireless Podcast subscriptions and direct downloads
- Smart DJ – Auto-generated playlists drawing music from the Zune catalog
- Improved marketplace search
- More discoverable playback options
- Improved History and new
- Better mini-playback control
- New lock-screen options
- New artist wallpapers
Also made a bunch of tweaks to the music player itself. These include:
- Better playback controls: The playback controls are bigger and are now aligned with the mini-playback control–so your thumbs always know where to go.
- Better artist images: You’ll see in Mango has a great layered look and never interferes with the controls.
- More playback info: We’ve added the artist name to the music player queue so that when you’re jamming to your new Smart DJ mix, you know exactly what’s up next.
- More playback options: Tap the Repeat button a couple of times and you’ll see the addition of a Repeat Once mode for those songs you just can’t get enough of.
- New playlist option: finally create playlists on your device. Add a mix of whatever you want to your queue or start a Smart DJ mix and save it as a playlist.
- Better data management: In Mango, Zune Pass subscribers now see an icon on the phone when they’re listening to streamed music–so you always know when you’re consuming data.
- More video options: added a full-screen toggle and video scrubbing (where supported) so you have quick access to the parts of your videos you love most–features we heard you ask for!
Source: Windows Phoen blog]