Samsung Focus let you get to your MAC address easily, and now it seems the only handset that lets you set up USB Tethering (connecting your computer to the internet via your smartphone’s cellular data connection). It’s reported to be working on the Samsung Omnia 7 as well. Here’s how to enable it:
- Open your phone and dial ##634# then press Call.
- Now, from the Diagnosis Menu with a number keypad. Enter *#7284# and a Micro USB Test dialogue will appear.
- Change it from Zune Sync to Modem, Tethered Call and it’ll restart your phone after a few seconds. Once it restarts, connect to your PC over USB and drivers will be installed on your computer. Now go to your connections on your PC and you’ll see that a Samsung Mobile Modem was added.
- On your PC you need to change the setting for Samsung Mobile Modem. If you set it to prompt for user name you’ll be able to put in the login info. For AT&T users, use following info:
Dial number: *99***1#
Username: [email protected]
- International users with Omnia 7, will need to find out dial-up connection settings with your carrier.
Note: This’ll disable synchronisation via Zune software (USB). However, WiFi sync isn’t affected. To enable Zune sync via USB again, simply repeat steps 1 and 2 above, and change the setting back to Zune Sync.
Long Zheng has posted a video embedded below on how to get to various Samsung debug screens: