Windows Azure DataMarket Service Update 2 is now available and introduces a number of exciting new features, including:
- Internationalization: SU2 is the first wave of our international rollout. With this release, we’re enabling the purchase of datasets from Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom in local currencies. It will be our endeavor to continue to expand this list.
- Rich Visualization: Customers don’t just want raw data; they want visualizations. This release includes a new service explorer that enables customers to create visualizations and export them in various formats for offline use. This’s in addition to exporting data to PowerPivot and partner tools like Tableau to provide a rich, comprehensive platform.
- Free trials on selected premium datasets for 30 days. If you’re a Content Publisher, you can still choose to opt in! To begin, MetricMash, Dun & Bradstreet, Boundary Solutions, and StrikeIron all have free offerings available today.
- OAuth 2.0 support: Developers want an integrated and embeddable DataMarket experience. DataMarket OAuth support enables you to seamlessly integrate your app to use DataMarket data and to allow your users to purchase required data subscriptions without leaving your app.
- Facebook Integration: Customers can now share their favorite data offers on Facebook. Check out and Like your favorite data offer.
- New Content Providers: DataMarket continues to add new data offers from numerous publishers, including MetricMash (unemployment data), Digital Trowel (U.S. business database), and Infochimps (social ranking). Additional details can be found below in the content update section.
- DataMarket Excel Add-in CTP 2: Excel has been one of the key ways our customers interact with the DataMarket. CTP 2 of the Excel add-in leverages OAuth2.0, allowing you to sign in with your Windows Live ID and creating an easy and intuitive experience.
- DataMarket MapApp for Bing Maps now Available! We are very excited to announce the launch of the new DataMarket Map App in the Bing Map App Gallery ! Using the Map App customers will be able to visualize layers of geocoded datasets directly in Bing Maps like Demographics data from ESRI & Alteryx, US Crime data, Historical Weather data from Weather Bug etc.
- Click here to try the MappApp!
- PowerLinx Database of U.S.-Based Companies and Professionals: PowerLinx contains contact information of more than 10 million U.S. companies with website addresses, 25 million detailed company profiles, 25 million executives, including 5 million in-depth profiles with email addresses, and phone numbers.
- U.S. Unemployment Data-1948 to Current: This dataset is based on the Current Population Survey (CPS) published by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and is updated monthly. The data is broken down into these unemployment categories: rate, length, population, and labor force participation.
- Trstrank: The Infochimps Trstrank measures how important a Twitter user is. It’s a sophisticated network measure of centrality, not just a count of the number of followers a user has.
- Environmental Hazard Rank: The EDR Environmental Hazard Ranking System depicts the relative environmental health of any U.S. Zip code based on an advanced analysis of its environmental issues.
- Voting Information Project: The Voting Information Project (VIP) offers cutting edge technology tools to provide voters with access to customized election information to help them navigate the voting process and cast an informed vote.