Visio, more than a decade old trusted tool in diagramming now added new features to Visio Viewer for iPad and Visio Online Preview, enabling users to share or access diagrams from anywhere while gaining operational insights and exploring real-world diagrams easily.
With Visio Online Preview and Visio Viewer for iPad, diagrams can now be securely stored in OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online. And can also be shared as a link with anyone allowing them to view and interact with diagrams effortlessly across devices.
Visio Online Preview also gains additional operational insights from anywhere, as it turns data-linked diagrams into an operational dashboard that enable teams to glean real-time information from diagrams using a browser.
Also, in addition to a static diagram, now IT admins can pair a map with real-time data, to see things like server outages as they happen. And when use hyperlinks, will bring in additional documentation, such as policy guidance created in Word.
Even more, moving from network dashboard to rack dashboard for specific server performance, IT admins are “able to drill down to the root cause of the outages and take the appropriate actions to keep the business up and running,” writes Office team.
Ready for Retina display, Visio Viewer for iPad brings high-fidelity viewing of real-world processes and plans on the go with the new “exploration experience.” After a shape with desired metadata is located, you can smoothly navigate through diagrams and zoom in and out with intuitive Pan and Zoom features. Even revealing different visualizations of the same diagram by adjusting the visibility of certain layers is possible.
The Find pane, help to pinpoint all occurrences of a shape name, text or data—eliminating the need to sift through countless shapes.
Operations managers can add an inventory visualization layer on top of a production line with throughput information to understand the root cause of a station breakdown.
Visio Viewer for iPad can be download over at Apple App Store. We’ll bring Visio to the iPhone in the coming months.
In other apps news, Microsoft extends the functionality of its personal digital assistant Cortana on Windows 10, now rolling out for Android and iOS this week in the U.K.
In these new Cortana apps, you’ll find a more simplified look and feel, putting the most frequent things front and center. And because it’s the same Cortana across devices, “your Notebook with all your interests and connected accounts travels with you.”
Of course, you can also quickly look up information with clean full-page answers pop up in response to your questions and requests. And, with the Android app, you can invoke Cortana hands-free inside the app with “Hey Cortana.”
This keeps you always in perfect sync, helping you stay on top of things with reminders, alerts of missed PC calls and quick action buttons and voice commands as you move between your PC and mobile devices.
Here is what is available with the new Cortana app:
- Reminders that Travel with You: Cortana has your back, seamlessly keeping track of the things you need to remember across all the platforms you use her. Set a reminder on your PC and get it on your mobile phone.
- Never Miss a Phone Call: In a meeting and can’t answer your phone? With the Cortana app, get a missed call alert on your Windows 10 PC and let Cortana send a text back letting them know you’ll call them later – all without leaving your PC.
- Optimized for Mobile: Designed specifically for your mobile life with quick action buttons and voice to get what you need quickly, a streamlined design and widgets for Android and iOS.
The Cortana app on Android is available on Play Store and is coming in a few weeks to the iOS app as well.
A new 3D Preview app for Windows 10 listed as the Windows Store lets users easily open and interact with 3D models on PC and Windows 10 Mobile device. And, using simple controls, you can see 3MF, PLY, OBJ, FBX, and STL files from all angles.
According to the listing, the app is available to Windows 10 Insiders on preview build 14800 or greater of Creators Update.
Microsoft said today that the Translator feature is now available to the UWP Skype Preview app. The translation features allow conversations to be translated in real time, with one participant in the call speaking one language and another person speaking another.
Translator currently works with 60 languages for text, and you can find the full list here.
As of right now, the update is available to Windows Insiders on the Fast ring. This could be considered the December update, as the last one for Insiders was on November 12.
Microsoft said that using a headset will improve the quality of the translations, and the more you use it, the better it will get. The following features are added in this preview:
- Introduce friends and family on Skype by sharing their Skype contact details
- Capture and share video messages with friends and family on Skype—even if they’re not online
- Manage your conversations and save time by marking conversations as read or unread
- Don’t miss another call by forwarding them to a mobile or landline
Update 12/10: Microsoft Business Center, is a collection of Office 365 apps in the cloud that help small businesses to be more efficient and effective to provide businesses with a set of easily accessible tools that require the minimum setup and support.
The following list and the video provides a highlight of the apps included:
- Business Center: Start here to access each of the tools.
- Microsoft Listings: Use this tool to get your business visible on Facebook, Google, and Bing. It’s only available to an Office 365 global admin.
- Outlook Customer Manager: This Outlook Add-in makes it easier to track business contacts and communications.
- Connections: Build customer loyalty and add new customers by sending and tracking customer referrals.
- Invoicing: A mobile app allowing businesses to send professional invoices to customers.
- Bookings: Online and mobile app for publishing a corporate appointment calendar that customers can access and book their own appointments.
- Business contacts: A system-side collection of contacts.
- Business profile: Your Business profile and Organization profile remain in sync so that changes to one propagate to the other.