With a focus on helping deliver great user experiences by enabling advertisers and TV broadcasters to show seamless, high-quality video ads across all screen sizes and device types, DoubleClick, in this vein, is rolling out a new standard called VAST 4.0, that makes previous standards to work better.
This new digital video standard is developed by Google along with IAB, CBS Interactive, Ad-ID and others, allows advertisers and broadcasters to deliver TV-quality ads to living room screens and devices.
The support for VAST 4.0 is now available in all DoubleClick Campaign Manager, DoubleClick Bid Manager, DoubleClick Ad Exchange, and DoubleClick for Publishers. This updated set of standards “applies across ad servers and server side ad insertion tools, helping advertisers and broadcasters provide high quality viewing experiences for their audiences,” team said.
It was important to launch this standard for both advertisers and broadcasters simultaneously to ensure that the whole ecosystem runs smoothly, from insertion order to ad serving.
Today’s launch is focus on two specific aspects of VAST 4.0:
TV-quality creative files (known as mezzanine files) uploaded to DoubleClick Campaign Manager and DoubleClick for Publishers can now be passed to services that dynamically stitch ads into video streams (server side ad insertion platforms), writes the team.
This helps ensure a higher quality viewing experience, especially for connected TVs, “by enabling the TV-quality ad creative to be transcoded and served in one stream alongside the video content,” says google.
And, second, more efficient ad delivery through a universal ad ID system that helps the server side ad insertion platform better identify unique vs. existing creatives, which reduces unnecessary transcodes.
Here’re some highlights of VAST 4.0 features:
- Server-side Support – VAST 4.0 supports “ad-stitching” or providing linear video ads in a stream to players with limited capabilities using server-to-server methods
- Mezzanine File and Creative ID – Enabling advertising across video platforms that include long-form content, high-resolution screens, and advertiser requirements for tracking ad creative, VAST 4.0 includes support for raw, high-quality mezzanine files, and international creative ID programs (such as Ad-ID in the U.S.)
- Ad Verification and Viewability Execution – VAST 4.0 contains a light script object to simplify ad verification using VAST instead of complicating VPAID use and interfering with the video viewing experience
- Category Support – The introduction of ad categories will allow video publishers to separate competing ad creatives and to improve brand safety
- Conditional Ad Declaration – A declaration in VAST for a conditional ad helps publishers prevent and reclaim any potentially lost inventory revenue in programmatic ad delivery