Helping marketers better understand the impact of their ad campaigns, Bing Ads added a new features “Offline Conversion Import,” that allow advertisers with offline sales from online leads connect their conversions back to search ads that users interacted with.
This feature, when enabled, “automatically appends a Microsoft Click ID (MSCLKID) to the landing page URL, so you can connect offline conversions to your search ads. Then, just capture this click ID from the referring URL whenever a user visits your website, and store it on any form or quote, filled by a user on your website.”
Bing explain how this feature work through an example situation,
“Say you’re an insurance company, and a potential customer saw and clicked your search ad. A unique click ID would be generated by Bing Ads and appended to the landing page URL. You would capture this when the customer lands on your website and store it somewhere like a user cookie or have it persist in the URL across your webpages. When the customer decides to fill out an insurance quote, you would associate the click ID with that same information. When the customer completes the purchase offline with a local agent, you can connect the conversion back to the click ID and import it into Bing Ads as a conversion event. After importing your offline conversions into Bing Ads, you’ll see them populated across all your performance grids and reporting that include conversion data.”
To set ut up, follow these easy steps:
- Get started by creating an Offline conversions goal from Conversion goals page under Conversion Tracking.
- Select revenue value, conversion counting type and desired conversion window. After, the goal is saved, auto-tagging of the click ID is automatically turned on. You can always check the status of your auto-tagging in the URL options page of the Shared Library.
- Next, configure website code to capture click ID and store it with lead information in a CRM system.
- Once leads have converted, prepare the data to be imported using import template. You can download the template from the Offline conversions page under the Conversion Tracking section in the left panel.
- Import the file back into Bing Ads by selecting Import and preview in the Offline conversions page of the Conversion Tracking section in the left panel. Review the status of your upload and Apply changes.
- Once done, the conversion data will be available on the Conversions goals page within five hours of the upload.
The feature rolls out today, however, it may take a few weeks to reach all customers around the world, says Bing ads.
The feature can be access on Bing Ads online, or thru the Bing Ads API.