The hack, albeit extremely simple in retrospect, involves overriding the update server which the phone checks to a Microsoft staging server (-int) used for testing. It just so happens the current one is hosting build 7510, an early build of the upcoming Mango release.
Without a further ado, the directions. Enjoy.
- Edit your HOSTS file under “
- Add an entry “
- Download USAIP and connect to any US-based VPN (ex. USAIP L2TP California)
- Use username “demo” and password “demo”
- Connect your Windows Phone 7 to the PC and start Zune
- Disable WiFi on the phone
- Open “phone” settings on the phone
- Manually search for an update within Zune
- After a few seconds (~15 seconds) disable data connection on the phone
- Enjoy the sweet juicy fruits of your labour