The December 2011 edition of TechNet Magazine heavily features Windows 7 is now out. Windows 7 has some unique functionality that opens doors to easier implementation of a virtualized environment, enhanced compatibility with applications from earlier OSes and a simplified migration path.
“Using Windows 7 in Windows XP Mode lets you run legacy business applications seamlessly within Windows 7. Your organization can benefit from the increased security, flexibility and stability of Windows 7, while continuing to use the older applications that drive your business. Check out “Run Windows Old and New” in this month’s issue for more on using Windows XP Mode in Windows 7,” Lafe Low, editor in chief of TechNet Magazine stated.
“Besides the Windows Automated Installation Kik (WAIK,) Microsoft has produced a quiver of tools to expedite your move, including the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit (MAP), the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) and the Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT).”
You can read more about those handy tools in the November article, “Windows 7: A Modern Guide to Desktop Deployment.”
You can also customize Windows 7 to fulfill just about whichever function you need. Check out the list of Microsoft Management Console Snap-Ins in the October feature, “Windows 7: All About the Snap-Ins.”
The following are some of the articles covered in the magazine:
- Windows 7: Inside the Ultimate Control Panel – Want to change the default Control Panel in Windows 7? Check out this article to find out how.
- Windows 7: Run Windows Old and New – If you are a small business and have some applications that just won’t play with Windows 7; then Windows XP Mode can help. Check out this article for more about it and how to use it.
- SQL Server: User-Defined Roles – With the advent of SQL Server 2012 comes the ability to create user-defined server roles, a huge step forward for SQL management.
- Virtualization: Use the RD Gateway – Looking to provide secure access to virtual machines over a public network? Check out this article on how RD Gateway in Windows Server 2008 R2 can help.
- Cloud Computing: Trust Management in Virtual Datacenters – Check out this article on some of the considerations you need to take in securing your virtual architecture.
- Cloud Computing: Virtual Cloud Security Concerns – Using virtual machines within the context of a cloud computing infrastructure poses some interesting security challenges.