Skype’s new iOS app comaptible with iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, launched today lets users locate Wi-Fi hotspots where they can pay for access using Skype Credit. With the app you can get online at over 1 million WiFi hotspots around the worldincluding those found in hotels, airports, train stations, convention centers, bars and restaurants.
To use the app, simply sign in with your same Skype username and password then tap “go online” to get connected.
Reduce your data roaming costs when you’re abroad:
- Use Skype WiFi to connect to WiFi hotspots at hotels, airports, train stations, bars and restaurants – available at over 1 million hotspots worldwide.
- Just one tap to connect – then browse the internet, check email, use Skype, check Facebook, update Twitter, upload photos, download music or ebooks.
- Only pay for the time you’re connected – there are no limits on the amount of data you can upload or download.
How to get started:
- Download the free Skype WiFi app.
- Sign in with your Skype account.
- Make sure you have some Skype Credit in your account.
Getting online at a compatible hotspot:
- Open the Skype WiFi app
- Tap Go Online.
- You’re online! Simple.
Once you’ve finished, just tap Go Offline.
The advantage of using this app over buying a voucher directly with the hotspot service provider is that you would only pay for the actual minutes you use, explains Skype.
Paying per-minute rates instead of buying a block of time can help travelers save money since sometimes you only need a quick minute of Internet access for a fast email check, status update or tweet, for example. With the new app, that’s easy to do.
The Skype Wi-Fi rates start at U.S. $0.06/4p/€0,05 (inclusive of VAT) per minute and there are no limits on the amount of data you can upload or download. And to promote the app’s launch, Skype is offering free Wi-Fi from Saturday August 20th (00:00) to Sunday August 21st (23:59) BST for a max of 60 minutes.
You can download the Skype WiFi from iTunes App Store.