Google open-sourced its internal “Quiz & Poll” App for Android, that enables educators to engage and challenge their students inside the classroom (using polls) and outside the classroom (using quizzes).
The Quiz & Poll application showcases how you can combine several Google technologies to make an easy to use app.
“With Quiz & Poll, teachers & educators can create quizzes and polls easily using Google Spreadsheets. Quizzes and Polls are distributed to students via the Android app or an embeddable webplayer. Statistics data is written back to the spreadsheet so the instructor can track student responses and understanding,” Google informs.
Key features of the app includes:
- Quizzes and polls are easily created and administered on Google Spreadsheets.
- Students can download the Android App to take the quiz or live classroom poll.
- For students without Android phones, quizzes and polls can be accessed via a web interface (works on laptops, iPhones, iPads etc.).
- Administrators can view quiz and poll statistics on the same Spreadsheet.
The code is useful for developers curious about following technologies and how they interact:
- Android app communicating with backend on AppEngine (Python+Django)
- AppEngine backend is communicating with GData Spreadsheets API
- Google Apps Script (used for interface to administer polls)
To see the app in action watch the how-to demo videos embedded below:
To explore the project code and documentation, check it out on Google Code.