Piwik aims to be an open source alternative to Google Analytics, and is already used on more than 150,000 websites.
Here’s what makes Piwik unique from the competition:
- Real Time Visitor Log shows in real time who is on your site, where they came from and what they do
- Hourly Visits Chart shows number of visits throughout the day
- Real-Time-ness in general – all the reports, such as keywords, referring sites and search engines, visitors, etc are available for today, as opposed to previous day in Google Analytics. This allows to immediately react to any problems that may occur on the site throughout the day.
- Ability to opt-out – any visitor can opt out from being recorded for web analytics purposes.
Give it a try
- Check out the online demo that shows you the latest Piwik release — Note that the “Administration” area is protected.
- Download the latest Piwik release, upload it on your webserver (you need at least PHP 5.1 and a Mysql database), and open your browser
- The installation takes only 5 minutes:
- The setup experience for Piwik on any of those hosting preview servers is very simple. Once you register your account, create a MySQL database that will be used by Piwik
- Make sure to take note of the database server name that hosts your newly created database – you’ll need to enter it later during Piwik installation procedure.
- After that go to the Gallery tab, use the search box to find Piwik and then follow the simple installation steps.
- On the database setup page enter the database connectivity settings that you’ve obtained when you created a new MySQL database
- Specify the site you want to track