Microsoft in addition to the update to Live SkyDrive, also announced “Office Web Apps in Office 365” include support for Open Document Format (ODF) 1.1, Office Web Apps are now integrated into Exchange Online in Office 365, which means you can view Word, Excel, and PowerPoint email attachments in the Web Apps.
Today’s changes also make it easier than ever to share and collaborate on Office documents on SkyDrive. These improvements are based on customer feedback, and include simplified sharing, more powerful file management, and easier uploads.
In addition, Office 365’s SharePoint Online is also updated to enable access for external users via Windows Live ID, allowing companies to invite external users to view, share and collaborate on the SharePoint sites. This feature is disabled by default and must be enabled by an administrator.
Office 365 is now available for customers in “22 additional markets, including Argentina, Iceland, Indonesia, South Africa and Taiwan,” along with recently launched “full commerce capabilities in Brazil, Russia and South Korea.”
Office 365 is being adopted eight times faster than its predecessor. More than 90 percent of Office 365 customers are small businesses with fewer than 50 employees, while over 40% of the Top 100 Brands use Office 365 or related cloud productivity services from Microsoft,” revealed official Office 365 blog.
Here is a list of few key updates:
- Support for SharePoint Business Connectivity Services – Businesses can now connect critical line-of-business applications, such as CRM or SAP software, in a familiar SharePoint interface.
- Windows Phone 7.5 Support – End users can access and update documents in SharePoint Online from anywhere using their Windows Phone.
- Self-Serve Password Reset – IT Admins gain easier security resets with our a Password Reset Tool.
- Lync for Mac – Mac users continue to gain features including full Lync client for instant messaging chats, and presence information in Office applications. They can now also host voice and video conferences with just like their PC based counterparts.
- Office Web App Preview in Outlook Web Access (OWA) – Users can now display Office document attachments in Outlook Web Access for easier on the go edit and review.
Here is the infographic of Office 365 adoption: