MSN Hotmail, UK’s first and the World’s most popular email service is celebrating its ten year anniversary this month. Hotmail, was founded by Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith, in November 1996. Since it’s launch, it has revolutionized internet communication.
Over the next few months, Hotmail will be evolving and reaching its next major milestone with the launch of Windows Live Mail, the next generation of Hotmail. The introduction of Windows Live Mail will provide internet users with a more advanced email service which will be faster, simpler, safer and offer greater connection, further developing the way we communicate.
- In 1996, 56,041 people signed up for the first Hotmail accounts, roughly the size of Taunton in Somerset
- Almost half (43%) of PC owners in the UK have a Hotmail account
- 1 billion emails are delivered to Hotmail inboxes daily – that’s over 11,000 emails per second
- 80 million emails are sent by Hotmail users daily, 20 times more than the number of flowers delivered by Interflora in the UK each year
- On average, Hotmail users keep 137 emails in their inbox at any one time, 15 times more than the average number of SMS messages we have stored in our mobile phones
- Hotmail is used in nearly every country in the World and is available in 17 languages
- Over one fifth of the UK population has made friends via MSN Hotmail,
Commenting on Hotmail’s 10th birthday, Stuart Anderson, MSN Hotmail Marketing Manager, says: “The growth of Hotmail over the last 10 years has been phenomenal, starting with our first sign-up back in 1996 to now hosting over 270 million accounts globally. Our email offering has seen many changes over the years as the internet has developed and our communication needs have advanced. The future of email is certainly bright and our plans for Windows Live Mail will see a whole new era of webmail over the next decade“.
MSN, Hotmail, Windows Live Mail