As Posted on bin —”wsus newsgroup:
Hi Folks –
We have verified a problem in the metadata for the latest IE7.0 update rollup package which impacts the installation behavior for all locales, and results in an Spanish error dialog after installation as reported..
To immediately address the spread of this issue, the IE7.0 update package has been expired effective 5:00 PM PST, Wednesday, 11/22/06. Synchronizing WSUS servers after 5:00PM PST will ensure the expiration status is applied to the latest IE7.0 update rollup package, released 11/21/06.
Clients which are currently displaying a Spanish error dialog, or are rechecking for this update package, can be stopped from doing so via the following steps:
If the update was approved for a scheduled installation:
1. Stop the AU service.
2. Kill the following processes –
3. Start the AU service after you have synchronized the WSUS server to expire the IE7 update.
4. Run the command wuauclt.exe /detectnow. We have to do this to reset the IE 7 status on the client. In my test, it offered the IE7 update again, so it did not check back with the WSUS server where it had been
changed to detect only status. If it is a manual kick off with the AU icon from systray, then clicking okay
to the error message, clears the IE setup executables, so we can just do the following –
1. Stop the AU service
2. Start the AU service after you have synchronized the WSUS server to expire the IE7 update.
3. Run the command wuauclt.exe /detectnow. We have to do this to reset the IE 7 status on the client. In my test, it offered the IE7 update again, so it did not check back with the WSUS server where it had been
changed to detect only status.
If other updates were installed at the same time, a reboot will be required to finish off the updates that did install for both scenarios above.
Attached is a sample batch file Before running a similar batch file you will have had to either synchronize to ensure the update is expired , or have had changed the update approval to Not Approved or Dectect Only. The batch file sample can be run on the client system either from a logon script or running it manually on the client. A new update rollup package for this IE 7.0 release will be available for synchronization early next week. We regret the inconvenience and confusion this issue may have caused WSUS customers. Thank you for your reports and enabling us to get this issue headed off so quickly.
Removes, IE7, From, WSUS