Microsoft announced the launch of ASP.NET MVC 3, NuGet, IIS Express 7.5, SQL Server Compact Edition 4, Web Deploy and Web Farm Framework 2.0, Orchard 1.0, and WebMatrix 1.0, at the CodeMash conference in Ohio today.
- ASP.NET MVC 3 final is available here. The ASP.NET MVC 3 source code (released under an OSI-compliant open source license) can also optionally be downloaded here.
- NuGet — a free, open source, package manager that makes it easy for you to find, install, and use open source libraries in your projects. It works with all .NET project types (including ASP.NET Web Forms, ASP.NET MVC, WPF, WinForms, Silverlight, and Class Libraries). You can download and install it here.
There’re hundreds of open-source .NET projects already within the NuGet Gallery today.
- IIS Express 7.5 is a free version of IIS 7.5 optimized for developer scenarios. It works for both ASP.NET Web Forms and ASP.NET MVC project types.
- SQL Server Compact Edition 4 (aka SQL CE 4) is a free, embedded, database engine that enables easy database storage.
SQL CE doesn’t require you to run a setup or install a database server in order to use it. You can simply copy SQL CE binaries into the \bin directory of your ASP.NET app, and then your web app can use it as a database engine. No setup or extra security permissions are required for it to run.
SQL CE runs in-memory within your ASP.NET app and will start-up when you first access a SQL CE database, and will automatically shutdown when your app is unloaded. SQL CE databases are stored as files that live within the \App_Data folder of your ASP.NET Applications.
- Microsoft Web Deploy V2 and Microsoft Web Farm Framework V2. These services provide a flexible and powerful way to deploy ASP.NET applications onto either a single server, or across a web farm of machines.
Visit the website to learn more and install them. Both are free.
- WebMatrix is a new, free, web development tool from Microsoft that provides a suite of technologies that make it easier to enable website development. It enables a developer to start a new site by browsing and downloading an app template from an online gallery of web apps (which includes popular apps like Umbraco, DotNetNuke, Orchard, WordPress, Drupal and Joomla). Alternatively it also enables developers to create and code web sites from scratch.
WebMatrix is a bundle of a lightweight version of Microsoft’s IIS Web Server, known as IIS Express; an updated version of SQL Server Compact Edition; and a new “view-engine option” for ASP.Net, known as “Razor,” which enables developers to embed Visual Basic or C# within HTML.
Visit here to download and install it today.
- Orchard was the successor to Microsoft’s “Oxite” open-source CMS system. Orchard is designed to help users create and manage Web sites, with customization possible via the browser-based editing tools built into the product. Orchard is built as an ASP.Net Model View Controller (MVC) 3 app, using the “Razor” view templates and SQL CE 4 for data storage. (Razor and the new compact SQL are both parts of the WebMatrix tool set.)
Read these tutorials to learn more about how you can setup and manage your own Orchard site.