In a AdSense post, Google has put some recommendations to have a mobile optimized site to maximize your earnings with AdSense:
“Don’t forget that you can grow your earnings potential by understanding which mobile ad sizes are most effective for you,” the AdSense team stated.
- “Swap out the 320×50 ad units for 320×100 for a potential RPM increase.
- Place a 320×100 ad unit just above the fold or peek the 300×250 — that is, place a small portion of the ad unit just above the fold (ATF).
- Use the 300×250 ad unit below the fold (BTF) mixed in with your content.
- Prevent accidental clicks on enhanced features in text ads by moving ad units 150 pixels away from your content,” the team explained.
The team further suggests publishers to start using Matched content that allows users to promote “relevant content” from their own site and “sponsored content” as well to your visitors.
“Matched content can help capture visitor attention and loyalty by showing relevant content which could increase pageviews on your site,” the team said.
Here’s a few tips to help you get started with Matched content.
The team recommend to placing “matched content” unit directly below the article and either “above” or “below” your ad unit.
Placing it directly below the article often drives higher click-through rates (CTR) than other placements, the team added. And, it also help readers click on the next piece of content of their interest.
One the unit is in place, you can check its effectiveness by going to the Performance reports tab, where two new metric — the “Overview metric family” and the “Matched content metric family” are added.
- “Overview metric family show you your earning from Matched content units, and “how this unit compare to other ad units on your site.”
Additonally, you can also review metrics such as impressions, clicks, and estimated earnings.
- Matched content metric family offer more detailed performance and recommendation like “total impressions, ad impressions, ad clicks, ad revenue per thousand impressions (RPM), and recommendation clicks.”,” adsense team explained.
To have a Matched content unit, check out this AdSense Help Center article.
Viewability a popular metric has become a key for advertisers to measure the success of an digital ad campaign.
So what is Viewability? Viewability is the measurement of a viewable ad impression, meaning that “it has appeared within a user’s browser and had the opportunity to be seen,” explains adsense team.
So for an AdSense publisher, “this means that increased viewability may encourage greater investments from advertisers.”
According to Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB), a viewable impression as an ad that meets the following criteria: “50% of the ad’s pixels are visible in the browser window for a continuous one second.”
And, the Think with Google says “If an ad isn’t seen, it can’t have an impact, change perception, or build brand trust. That’s why measuring viewability matters.”