Instagram in a blog post highlighted top 2018 trends revealing how its community around the world expressed themselves on the platform in the year ending soon said that “sharing love and kindness” is the top priority of the people.
“We’re heartened to see that sharing love and kindness is still a top priority for the Instagram community.”
Here are the highlights of top trends:
The “Heart Love Sticker” from Arata was the top Giphy sticker that people used in Stories.
While the “Heart Eyes” tops as the most-used Face Filter in Stories.
The Instagram community used more than 14 billion times the ❤️ emoji when making comments In Feed.
The Disneyland Tokyo tops the use of 🙂 in the caption.
This year on Instagram, ASMR was the top niche community in trend, with people’s interest in soap cutting, slime popping, and makeup shaving saw a steep rise in popularity.
The company also revealed top trending hashtags in advocacy this year include #metoo (1.5 million), #timesup (597K), #marchforourlives (562K).
This trend of advocacy hashtags shows that Instagram can be a powerful platform for people to speak out and bring light to meaningful causes, the company says.
The game Fortnite’s #fortnite was the fastest growing hashtag globally.
K-pop’s dominance reflected with BTS “Army” emerging as the top fandom community on the Instagram platform.
Lastly, this year also saw the biggest viral dance challenge on Instagram, with #inmyfeelingschallenge, which included everyone from @theshiggyshow to @willsmith, coming in at number 1.
Here is a complete list of Instagram’s 2018 Year in Review:
- Most Used Face Filter in Instagram Stories: Heart Eyes
- Most Used Giphy Sticker on Instagram Stories: Heart Love Sticker by Arata
- Number of times ❤️ was used in comments: 14 billion
- Happiest Geotagged Location in the World (highest use of 🙂 in the caption): Disneyland Tokyo
- Top Niche Community Trend: ASMR
- Highest Growth Hashtag Community: #fortnite
- Top Fandom Community: BTS (#btsarmy)
- Top Dance Movement: #inmyfeelingschallenge
- Top Advocacy Hashtags: #metoo (1.5 million), #timesup (597K), #marchforourlives (562K)