Instagram Stories allows users to share photos and videos to their “Story,” which is visible to only their followers and to specific users the sender follows.
The Stories can be found in the tiled gallery of one’s Instagram profile — published separately from the photos and videos.
Same as Snapchat, the Instagram Stories are short-lived, meaning they disappear after 24 hours.
At times we all wished a way to make specific Stories visible only to a limited group of people, Instagram has not had that capability, until now.
Today the company has introduced a new option that let users share Stories with a smaller set of friends, in addition to followers.
“Instagram Stories has become the place to express yourself and share everyday moments,” wrote Instagram.
Instagram users now have the ability to create a “close friends list” on Stories, which will be visible only to the creator.
Users can not make a request to get added to the list.
To get started with adding people to the list, navigate to profile, then select “Close Friends List” found on the side menu.
Those who are added to a list by someone will see a “green badge” when they view their stories.
Additionally, a green ring around their profile photo in the Stories tray will appear as well.
After creating a close friends list when a user share Stories, will now see a new option to share with just the people on the close friends’ list.
Users can create a close friends list using the Instagram app by following these simple steps below: (the image above shows close friends creation and story sharing)
- First tap in the bottom right, followed by a tap in the top right.
- Next, tap to choose “Close Friends.”
- Then, tap “Add” next to the people to add to a “close friends” list. Also, a friend can be searched by tapping on “Search.”
- Finally, tap “Done” when finished of adding people to the list.
Using the Instagram app just follow these steps to share a Story with close friends list:
- In the Instagram app, just tap in the top left or swipe right from anywhere in the feed.
- Next, tap at the bottom and snap a photo, or tap and hold to record a video.
- Or, simply swipe up anywhere on the screen to select a photo or video from phone’s library or gallery.
- When ready, just tap “Close Friends” in the bottom left to share.
Instagram says close friends feature is available worldwide from today on the latest Android and iOS versions of the Instagram app.
Watch this video see how close friends feature works: