There are times when tools such as DebugDiag, ADPlus or UserDump fail to capture a dump when a process terminates unexpectedly. When that happens, we can launch the process inside the debugger to ensure that we capture a dump. Here’s how we do it:
- Install the Debugging Tools for Windows
- Copy and paste the information below into a new text file:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\calc.exe] "Debugger"="C:\\Program Files\\Debugging Tools for Windows\\cdb.exe -g"
- Change the CALC.EXE value to the desired process
- Change the path to CDB.EXE as needed
- Import the Registry File – no reboot is required