Microsoft and Hon Hai, a parent company of the Chine-based Foxconn, signed a worldwide patent licensing agreement that provides broad coverage under Microsoft’s patent portfolio for devices running the Android and Chrome OS, including smartphones, tablets and televisions.
Agreement provides broad coverage under Microsoft’s patent portfolio to manufacturer of more than 40 percent of the world’s consumer electronics.
“Hon Hai is the world’s largest contract electronics manufacturer that holds more than 54,000 patents worldwide. The licensing agreement with Microsoft represents our efforts and continued support of international trade agreements that facilitate implementation of effective patent protection,” said Samuel Fu, director of the Intellectual Property Department at Hon Hai.
In other news, the first Community Technology Preview (CTP) of Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 released as on April 15, 2013.
CTP1 of Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 includes some new Team Foundation Server functionality. It also includes fixes for various issues involving the debugger, Web tools, C++ support and more.
Get the Update 3 of Visual Studio 2012 CTP1 Microsfot Download Center.
Microsoft has released a major upgrade for Outlook.com app for Android devices that overhauls the entire user interface and provides a number of new features.
Starting today, “you can get the same great Outlook.com look and feel as you get on Windows 8 and the web on your Android device,” the Office team announcec.
“We believe that the best mobile experience is enabled through Exchange ActiveSync–however, the native support for Exchange ActiveSync on Android devices varies significantly” and so “we build a separate app to ensure as many people as possible can have a great Outlook.com experience across all their devices,” the team explains.
In addition to the new look, a number of other new features including: “conversation threading, filters for unread and flagged mail, as well as the ability to mark messages as junk” are also added in this release.
Download Outlook.com app for Android on Google Play.
Update: Microsoft Research’s “Mañana Mail” an Outlook add-in now available lets you do two things:
- “With a click of a single button, it lets you schedule a message to be sent at midnight. Outlook does not have to be running for the message to go out, and you can edit or cancel the message up until midnight.
- Undo. Each message is held for 15 seconds before being sent during which time you can click “undo” to get it back,” explains MSR.
Download Mañana Mail Outlook add-in here.
Also, released today, is an update to LinkedIn app for Windows Phone that brings the following new features in version 1.5:
- Live Tile support: Three Tile sizes push updates right to your Start screen.
- Lock screen support: Set your lock screen to show images from LinkedIn Today.
- Speech recognition support: Press and hold the Start button to open Speech, then tell LinkedIn what to do with commands like “LinkedIn: Inbox” and “LinkedIn: New status.”
- Support for more languages, including French, German, Chinese, and Spanish.
Grab LinkedIn app for Windows Phone Windows Phone Store.