An XDA Developers Forum user shared a step-by-step guide for brute-forcing his way into the internet sharing feature of Windows Phone Mango. The guide helps you enable the internet sharing feature with carefully tuned registry keys on legacy Windows Phone Mango devices like the Samsung Omnia 7.
This hack proves at least two such devices, the Samsung Focus (US) and Samsung Omnia 7 are already capable with driver support presumably added in the Mango update.
After deploying a handful of homebrew XAPs, dialing Samsung diagnostic codes and a few long breathes during restarts, “internet sharing” finally popped up the settings dialog. A quick flick of the “on” toggle, lo and behold, it actually works!
Windows Phone Hacker posted a simpler version of the original guide (right under) which utilizes an updated homebrew application that has the hack built-in.
According to Windows Phone Hacker to get WiFi sharing enabled on your Samsung Windows Phone:
- Download DiagProvXML and Samsung Tools
- Deploy both XAPs to your phone
- Run DiagProvXML and hold down on the Internet Sharing item, press Execute
- Close (press Back) DiagProvXML, and run Samsung Tools. Press Apply to set Auto Data Config.
- Your phone will reboot, and everything should work from there on it.
You can read the complete guide here.
Here is the video walkthrough:
The xda-developers forum guide is right below:
WHAT YOU NEED
You need a developer unlocked Omnia 7 / Focus on Mango
Isolated Storage Explorer
Note: unpack and install vm_web2.exe first (it will download a 500mb++ file during installation, so it’s best to do this first). then unpack ISE_GUI_1.1.rar, inside is the isolated storage explorer)
needed xml’s (hs.zip)
- Remove (uninstall) Network Profile application and remove any APN you set up in settings -> cellular
- InterOP-unlock your device (Heathcliff)
- Install DiagProvXML app on your phone
- Using Isolated Storage Explorer deploy enclosed provxml files in hs.zip
- to do this: run Isolated storage explorer on your PC with your device plugged in and screen-unlocked. (DiagProvXML does not need to be running on your phone)
- paste this value on Product GUID text box: 566814df-f6b6-4154-8be5-9e65dce907c0
- click GET DATA button and save on your desktop.
- open the downloaded folder and paste there the 4 xml files from hs.zip
- click the Upload folder to Isolated Storage and select the same folder you just worked on, and upload!
Value Name: Name, Value Type: String, Value Data: Value … hit save
Value Name: EntitlementURI, Value Type: String, Value Data: ./Vendor/MSFT/Registry/HKLM/Comm/InternetSharing/Settings/OpenMarketEnabled … hit save
Value Name: OpenMarketEnabled, Value Type: dword, Value Data: 1 … hit save