Google’s new Voice Search app for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch helps you finding the answer to a question effortlessly–with the comprehensive Google search results.
“Getting an answer is now as simple as tapping on the microphone icon and asking a question like, your words appear as you speak, you get your answer immediately and–if it’s short and quick, like the status and departure time of your flight–Google tells you the answer aloud,” Google posted.
The new voice search is more interactive and Google does a better job at answering simple questions, but it doesn’t integrate with the operating system like Google Search for Android or Siri for instance — you can’t use it to launch apps, play music, check your calendar or add an alarm. Try “play Rihanna Diamonds video” and the video starts playing, “cat pics” returns image search results, “directions to Los Angeles” shows Google Maps directions.
In short the app is great for weather forecasts, sports scores, definitions, unit conversions, simple calculations, facts. Thanks to Knowledge Graph, “you can get answers to an increasingly wide variety of questions, here are a few of the questions that Google can answer”:
- “”What does Yankee Stadium look like?” Google will show you hundreds of pictures instantly.
- “Play me a trailer of the upcoming James Bond movie.” The trailer starts playing immediately right within Google Search.
- “When does daylight savings time end?” The answer will appear above the search results, so you can set your clock without having to click on a link.
- “Who’s in the cast of The Office?” See a complete cast list and find out who made you crack up last night,” informs Google.
Here is what’s new in version 2.5:
- Updated for the iPhone 5
- Improved Voice Search
- Simply say what you want and get results without typing.
- Faster and significantly improved voice recognition with text streamed on the fly.
- Get answers spoken directly back to you with web results tailored to your questions.
- Want to see types of questions that work well? Visit http://google.com/support/mobile/?p=gsa_voice.
- Other features:
- Faster: get to search results faster than by searching from a browser
- Beautiful full-screen image search
- Swipe away webpages to quickly return to search results
- Search within a webpage using the built in text finder
- Google Goggles: Snap a photo of what you see to find more information about products, landmarks or famous paintings, and even solve Sudoku puzzles
You can get the new Google Search App for iOS version 2.5 from iTunes App Store.