Google Site’s sidebar helps visitors find what they’re looking for and stays with the user as they navigate the site. Here’s how you can take advantage of this space:
- To access sidebar menu, go to More actions > Manage site > Site layout (you can also click Edit sidebar link under your sidebar).
- Rearranging order of the links: Click Edit link within Navigation box. In Configure Navigation window, uncheck box next to “Automatically organize my navigation.” Next, add pages manually (with Add page link) and rearrange them with the arrows on the right. The up-down arrows change order of the pages, and the left-right arrows allow you “indent” a page within another, making it a subpage.
- Resizing sidebar: You can also control width of the sidebar via Site layout > Change site layout and entering in a new width.
- Changing color of the font: To find these settings, go to More actions > Manage site > Colors and Fonts.
- Adding email addresses or links to other sites: Go to Site layout and edit Navigation box. In Configure Navigation window, select Add URL and enter in a URL and text to display.
- Adding text and images: Since you can add and format text to sidebar, as well as insert images and links, it’s easy to create a bio profile. Simply go to Site layout > Add a new sidebar item > Text.
- Horizontal navigation allows you to move your navigation links to across the top of the site. Go to Site layout > Change site layout and check the box next to Horizontal navigation bar. A new section on the site layout preview will pop up, “Horizontal navigation bar.” You can customize horizontal navigation bar the same way you reorganized the links earlier.