Alongside the new Google Maps app on iPhone and iPad, Google also launched Google Maps SDK for iOS update that bring Street View, indoor maps, and an updated map design in the v1.4 of the iOS Maps SDK.
With this update, “developers can write a few lines of code to access popular features of Google Maps including: Street View in 50 countries, more than one billion square feet of indoor floor plans, and an updated design of our map tiles,” informs Google Developers team.
Indoor Floor Plans let you bring your users one level deeper by giving them access to floor plans inside shopping malls, airports, train stations and more.
Updated Map Design in this version of SDK includes “an update to the map tiles, that draws design inspiration from the new Google Maps.” Google notes, it has removed the yellow roads, which gives the map a more neutral palette, “so that your app’s colors, styles, and map markers can stand out.”
For an overview of the new features in this release, watch this introduction from Google Maps Developer Relations team:
And, download the SDK here.
“With your new Google Maps app for iPhone and iPad, you’ll find it even easier to explore new places, discover local favorites, and navigate your world,” says Google.
Feature in the new 2.0 Google Maps app for iOS include:
- Optimized iPad experience brings all the features of Google Maps, including Street View, to a larger screen, which makes exploring the world from the comfort of your living room engaging and fun.
- Enhanced Navigation to your iPhone live incident reports on road closures, construction, accidents, and more. And in addition, you’ve get voice guided, turn-by-turn navigation, and live traffic conditions right on the map. For those who prefer public transportation, Google Maps has schedule information for more than one million public transit stops around the world.
- Bike enthusiasts, can get turn-by-turn Biking directions and voice guided navigation for more than 330,000 miles of trails, paths, and bike lanes around the world.
- Explore a fast and easy way to visually browse and discover new places without typing a single letter. “Simply tap the search box and you’ll see cards showing great local places to eat, drink, shop, play, and sleep.”
- Reviews, Zagat and Offers with new 5.0 star rating system that gives you a quick read on how your friends and others rate places like restaurants, bars, and cafes. Also, Zagat badge of excellence and curated lists are integrated into search results so you can quickly spot the very best places.
- And finally, the new Google Maps app also helps you discover valuable Offers from national brands, like Michael’s and BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse, right on the map.