Google released App Engine SDK v1.3.8, that includes several exciting new features for improving monitoring, performance, and maintenance tasks.
- Instances page in Admin Console allows you to view info about all server instances currently in use by your app. Just click “Instances” link on the left of Admin Console to see Average QPS, latency, and memory for an instance.
- Task Queue Improvements: First, max bucket size that you can specify during queue configuration is now 100, up from 50. Second, “Run Now” button added to Task Queues section that enables developers to run a task immediately.
- Builtins Directives allow you to quickly and easily enable standard functionality in your app without adding additional code to your codebase. The libraries available are remote_api, appstats, and datastore_admin feature.
If you’re already using remote api endpoint your app, you can choose to remove entry in handlers section of your app.yaml and use above directive instead to simplify your app.yaml file. Support for builtin handlers isn’t yet available for Java apps.
- An experimental addition to admin console provides simple UI for delete all entities, or all entities of a given kind, in your datastore. To enable this functionality, simply enable following builtin in your app.yaml file:
– datastore_admin: on
- Datastore delete is currently available only with Python runtime. Java apps, can still take advantage of this feature by creating a non-default Python app version that enables Datastore Admin in app.yaml. Native support for Java will be included in an upcoming release.
- Python Pre-compilation on by Default. If you wish to disable this feature, just specify the flag –no-precompilation on the appcfg.py command line when uploading your app.