Google Mobile announced the launch of a new initiative called GoMo, that motivates businesses to “Go Mobile” and empowers agencies to help them make it happen.
So, are you ready to Go Mo? Just visit howtogomo.com site, where you’ll find the resources that can help you talk to your clients about what makes a good mobile site and motivate them to start building one.
Here’s what you’ll find at howtogomo.com:
- “See what their customers see: Enter a website address into the GoMoMeter and see what your site looks like on a mobile phone. The GoMoMeter will analyze your site and give you customized recommendations on how to make your site more mobile friendly. You can even download a free customized report!
- Learn about why mobile matters: Cool infographics and the latest stats will give you what you need to have data-driven conversation with your clients about why mobile-friendly sites really matter.
- Get inspired by great examples: Inspire your clients with best-in-class mobile sites and our ten mobile site best practices.
- A page created specifically for agencies! On the “For Agencies” page, you will find the GoMo Agency Guide, a playbook filled with resources specifically designed for agencies who want to talk to their clients about creating mobile-friendly sites,” revealed Jesse Haines, Google Mobile Ads Marketing.
Here is the video demonstrating Go Mo:
Update 11/2: Google just published GoMo: Tten mobile site best practices — per Google blog post:
- “Mobile users are often short on time so it’s important that your site loads fast, content is easy to scan, and key information is easily accessible. Compress images to ensure your site loads quickly. Prioritize site information and features that mobile users want and use most. A look at your website analytics can help you determine content that is most popular with your mobile users.
- Use a clear hierarchy for navigation that users can click to drill down and avoid using rollovers. Try to have your content fit on the screen but when scrolling is needed, use vertical scrolling. For large sites with lots of information, have a search box prominently available. Clear back and home buttons on each page also help users easily navigate a mobile site
- People use their fingers to scroll, swipe and select on touchscreen mobile devices. Use large, centered buttons and increase their padding to reduce accidental clicks of the wrong item.
- Content should fit onscreen and text should be readable without users having to pinch and zoom to enlarge. Making use of negative space, creating contrast between background and text and using color to indicate link/ button priority makes it easier to read text on a mobile phone.
- Ideally your mobile site should work across all mobile devices and handset orientations. Avoid using Flash as that does not display on many smartphones. Adapt your site for both horizontal and vertical orientations.
- Make it easy for customers to buy or contact you while on your mobile site by reducing the number of steps to complete a transaction and including click-to-call functionality. Focus on key information that aids conversion – product details, photos, location info. Keep forms short and use check boxes, lists and scroll menus to make data entry easier.
- Take advantage of the location based capabilities of mobile phones and include maps, directions and prioritized information based on the user’s proximity.
- Ensure users have a consistent experience by providing the same key product info and features in both desktop and mobile websites.
- Use mobile site redirects. A mobile site redirect is code that is added to your regular website that automatically detects if visitors are coming from a mobile device and redirects them to your mobile site. Also give users the option to go to your full website from your mobile site so they can choose the version that best meets their needs.
- Your site doesn’t need to be perfect and comprehensive before you launch! It’s more important to launch, test and learn to see what works. Collect user feedback, use website analytics for insights and continue iterating and improving your site,” says Dai Pham, Google Mobile Ads Marketing.
For a detailed set of the above best practices, you can download a copy of the 10 Mobile Site Best Practices here.
In other, Google new, Google India today launched ‘India Get Your Business Online’, that offer free websites, domain & hosting services to small medium businesses in India.
“Our goal is to help 500,000 small medium businesses in India to get online in next three years through this program, with our partner HostGator. Small business owners in India can logon to www.indiagetonline.in and use the tool to get a free, easy-to-build website and web hosting for one year powered by HostGator. Businesses will also get a customized domain .in name and free tools, training and resources to succeed online,” stated Rajan Anandan, MD & Vice President, Sales & Operations, Google India.
Here’s what Indian businesses get:
- Free: It’s free to set up your website. The domain is free for 1 year, and it’s free to maintain your website for 12 months.
- Quick: The website tool takes 15 minutes from sitting down to being found online
- Easy: You don’t need to be a tech whiz to get started. All you need to start is your address, phone number, TAN/CIN or PAN to verify you as a business
- The website is simple because customers are looking for simple information online
- Gives you your own .in domain
- Other features include photos/logos, integration with social media platforms
- You get a Google Apps account – free personalised email ids
- If you want to make your website work harder, you’ll have access to steady stream of free tips and tools from the Getting Indian Business Online team and a free coupon of worth Rs. 2500 INR advertising trial from Google AdWords to help promote your site.
- After the first year, SMBs can choose to pay a monthly pay-as-you-go to maintain their website using hostgator.
- At the end of the first year, they’ll have to pay a nominal charge if they wish to renew their domain name. They can cancel their website at any time.