With BlackBerry 6 OS and BlackBerry Torch 9800 smartphone, a new version of BlackBerry Maps was released. The revamped Maps 6.0 has many changes from its predecessor:
- Spiffy new high-quality maps that include more info, including hospitals, parking, and shopping centres. There’s also higher road density which fills out the gaps at some zoom levels.
- Speaking of finding a destination, if it’s a specific place or address you’re looking for, search engine in Maps 6 has been optimized to assist you in your trip. Maps 6 also integrates with the new Universal Search feature in the BlackBerry 6 OS, designed to allow users to mark locations on the map as a favorite. These favorite locations are then searchable within Universal Search.
- Also, incorporated pinch-to-zoom — in Maps 6, you can use the pinch gesture to zoom the map in and out.
- Maps 6 will always know where you’re located, as long as you’ve cell service and a view of the sky. After all, one of the most important features you can ask for in a mapping solution is the user’s current location!
Maps 6 take advantage of the advances in cell-tower triangulation and GPS to lower the location-retrieval time to seconds. As well, the app continually keeps itself up to date with the user’s location, so a particular location will always be available.
- Completely re-tooled UI for Maps 6, and several aspects of the UI were optimized for the best possible experience. The search screens now allow users to search both addresses and local search at the same time, and Get Directions wizard is highly intuitive — great for helping you out when you’re stuck.