Facebook has launched a stand-alone Windows client for Facebook chat, dubbed “Facebook Messenger for Windows” that lets you use Facebook without being on www.facebook.com. While you surf the web or use other applications on your computer, you can:
- Chat and message with your friends on Facebook
- See the latest updates from your friends in ticker
- Get quick notifications about what’s going on
While Windows Live Messenger users have been able to chat via Facebook for quite some time, the client offers a number of Facebook specific features, including a live updating Facebook ticker and notifications, as well as a dockable client window.
To try out the first version of this app, just complete a one-time setup. Note: Messenger for Windows will automatically install updates.
Once you have Messenger set up on your computer, you can log in and log out by right-clicking the Facebook icon in the your Windows system tray:
- To log into the Messenger app, right-click the Facebook icon in your Windows system tray and select Log in.
- Messenger will log you in using your browser and continue delivering messages and notifications after you close your web browser.
- Since you don’t need to be in a browser to use the app, you’ll need to have the “Keep me logged in” option checked when using Messenger. This option allows you to stay logged into Facebook even after you close your browser or navigate away from Facebook. As always, if you’re on a shared computer, make sure to log out of Facebook and the Messenger application completely (note that the Exit option will close the app but still keep you logged in).
You can learn more about Facebook Messenger for Windows on the Facebook help page.
You can download Facebook Messenger for Window here.