Microsoft has released a new solution accelerator designed to help enable an organization to identify, classify, and protect data on their file servers.
“The out-of-the-box classification and rule examples help organizations build and deploy their policies to protect critical information in a cost-effective manner. This release includes sample classification rules for PCI DSS and NIST 800-53,” the Redmond company notes.
“Use of the Microsoft Data Classification Toolkit for Windows Server 2008 R2 does not constitute advice from an auditor, accountant, attorney or other compliance professional, and does not guarantee fulfillment of your organization’s legal or compliance obligations. Conformance with these obligations requires input and interpretation by your organization’s compliance professionals,” Microsoft stated.
“When used with the Microsoft System Center Service Manager IT GRC Process Management Pack, organizations can easily map classification requirements from various authority documents, such as PCI DSS and NIST 800-53. In addition, they can build and deploy their data classification policies, implement controls through Windows Server 2008 R2 File Classification Infrastructure, and provide evidence of data classification policies to auditors,” the software company said.
Successful data classification programs require proper planning around these key critical areas:
- Identification of applicable IT GRC authority documents
- Definition of appropriate classification policies
- Implementation and evidence of appropriate controls
The Data Classification Toolkit for Windows Server 2008 R2 includes the following components:
- Microsoft Data Classification Toolkit.msi – Microsoft Data Classification Toolkit for Windows Server 2008 R2 Installer
- Data Classification Toolkit for WS2008R2 – Release Notes.rtf – Microsoft Data Classification Toolkit for Windows Server 2008 R2 Release Notes
You can download Data Classification Toolkit for Windows Server 2008 R2 here.