Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection (formerly known as Forefront Endpoint Protection 2012) are now available through a single download package on the Microsoft Download Center, announced Microsoft exec.
In short, System Center 2012 Configuration Manager will help you achieve the right balance between minimizing risks and capitalizing on the benefits of consumer technologies with the following additional and enhanced capabilities:
Adding, the Microsoft exec said, “We’ve made some useful tools available for you to simplify the migration from System Center Configuration Manager 2007. For example, System Center 2012 Configuration Manager introduces a new way to manage applications. We call it the ‘user-centric application model’.”
“System Center Package Conversion Manager (PCM) will help you convert existing application packages in ConfigMgr 2007 to the new application model. PCM analyzes packages and programs to determine their readiness for conversion into the new application model. PCM will automatically convert many packages to applications, with deployment types and dependencies, as well as migrating collection properties to global settings and requirement rules,” explains Microsoft exec.
New features in the release candidate include:
- Improved endpoint protection functionality, with integrated setup, management and reporting of System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection. (see below)
- Improved application catalog design that provides a better, more responsive experience when requesting and downloading applications.
- New support for Windows Embedded devices, including Windows Embedded 7 SP1, POS-Ready 7, Windows 7 Think PC, and Windows Embedded Compact 7.
- Improved compliance enforcement and tracking, with the ability to create dynamic collections of baseline compliance and generate hourly compliance summaries.
- Improved client status checks for Configuration Manager services and features.
- Platform support for deep mobile device management of Nokia Symbian Belle devices. Pending a platform update by Nokia later this calendar year for these devices, customers will be able to try out the management of Nokia devices with Configuration Manager.
- Additional scalability and performance improvements.
Also, releasing today are three new products in System Center 2012 lineup that help make private cloud experience real – specifically App Controller, Service Manager & Orchestrator.
“App Controller and Service Manager are in public beta while Orchestrator is available as a public release candidate.”
“Think of App Controller as the service consumer’s single view to manage applications across the Microsoft private cloud and the Windows Azure public cloud. They can configure, deploy, visualize and update multi-tier application components in the context of the holistic service delivered to the business. This is consistent with the mental model of managing services, not servers. Service consumers have visibility across all the applications they’re responsible for in one view. This approach enables a world of standardized application blueprints (or service templates, as we call them in System Center 2012) which can be easily configured to specific application needs before deployment,” explained Microsoft.
Finally, Microsoft announced launched of the “Private Cloud Community Evaluation Program (Private Cloud CEP).”
“With our Private Cloud CEP, we will show you how and help you build your own Private Cloud infrastructure from scratch. This program will provide you an opportunity to evaluate the products, with guidance from the product teams and understand how System Center 2012 and Windows Server Hyper-V will really change the way you look at Private Cloud,” the software company explained.
The program begins on November 1st, 2011 at 1 PM PST and I will be doing the kick-off session.
You can join Private Cloud CEP Application here.
Here is what is released in the System Center 2012 pack:
- System Center 2012 Configuration Manager RC provides comprehensive configuration management for the Microsoft platform that can help you empower users with the devices and applications they need to be productive while maintaining corporate compliance and control.
System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection RC, built on System Center Configuration Manager, provides industry-leading threat detection of malware and exploits as part of a unified infrastructure for managing client security and compliance that can help you simplify and improve endpoint protection.
System Center Operations Manager 2012 Beta provides deep application diagnostics and infrastructure monitoring that can help you ensure the predictable performance and availability of vital applications and offers a comprehensive view of your datacenter, private, and public clouds.
System Center Data Protection Manager 2012 Beta provides unified data protection for Windows servers and clients that can help you deliver scalable, manageable, and cost-effective protection and restore scenarios from disk, tape, and off premise.
System Center Orchestrator 2012 RC provides orchestration, integration, and automation of IT processes through the creation of runbooks that can help you to define and standardize best practices and improve operational efficiency.
System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 RC provides virtual machine management and services deployment with support for multi-hypervisor environments that can help you deliver a flexible and cost effective private cloud environment.
System Center App Controller 2012 Beta provides a common self-service experience across private and public clouds that can help you empower application owners to easily build, configure, deploy, and manage new services.
System Center Service Manager 2012 Beta provides flexible self-service experiences and standardized datacenter processes that can help you integrate people, workflows, and knowledge across enterprise infrastructure and applications.
- Package Conversion Manager is available as a feature pack download here.
- Download System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection Release Candidates Microsoft Download Center.
- Download and evaluate App Controller, Service Manager and Orchestrator here.
- System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Endpoint Protection RC
- System Center 2012 Configuration Manager RC
- App Controller 2012 RC
- Service Manger 2012 RC
- System Center Orchestrator 2012 RC