Azure Search, search-as-a-service that helps customers build sophisticated search experiences into web and mobile applications, and Azure Backup, backup-as-a-service that helps protect customers’ data, are now available in Canada.
Additionally, Azure IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) Backup feature is also available in public preview in both Canada Central and Canada East. While, Azure Hybrid Backup will be released at a later date.
Azure Search is deployed to the Canada Central region.
To get started, open the browser and login to Azure portal. Recovery Services Vault will be ready to be created in Canada geos.
In order to register for Azure IaaS Preview, customers can use the following Windows Powershell commands to login to Azure account:
PS C:> Login-AzureRmAccount To select the subscription which you want to register for preview, type the below and replace “Subscription Name” with your subscription name:
PS C:> Get-AzureRmSubscription –SubscriptionName “Subscription Name” | Select-AzureRmSubscription To register for the provider namespace, type:
PS C:> Register-AzureRmResourceProvider -ProviderNamespace Microsoft.RecoveryServices To register this subscription for alerting preview, type:
PS C:> Register-AzureRmProviderFeature -FeatureName RecoveryServicesCanada –ProviderNamespace Microsoft.RecoveryServices It might take a while to register the subscription. Please wait for few minutes and execute the below cmdlet. Make sure that RegistrationState reflects as Registered. If not, execute the below cmdlet again after a few more minutes:
PS C:> Register-AzureRmProviderFeature -FeatureName RecoveryServicesCanada –ProviderNamespace Microsoft.RecoveryServices
A number of improvements to the developer experience and capabilities of Azure DocumentDB have been added in recent weeks, including a new quick start experience helping you to get up and running with a personalized ready-to-run app on DocumentDB in seconds.
A preview for backup/restore and inbound firewall capabilities was also launched, as well as numerous runtime improvements including expanded support for geospatial types.
For accounts with MongoDB API support, a handy code snippet with all necessary configuration including what connection string to use for all major platforms is available too.
DocumentDB, which is built with high availability (99.99 SLAs) and global distribution at its core allows to scale throughput across multiple Azure regions along with policy driven failover and transparent multi-homing APIs, also automatically backup data at regular intervals, and stores them in another storage service with further globally replication for resiliency against regional disasters.
Customers can request to restore their databases and collections from a backup by contacting Azure support.
Firewall offer now add support for IP filtering and firewall rules for both DocumentDB and MongoDB APIs.
Azure DocumentDB also now supports geospatial indexing and querying of Polygon and LineString objects, in addition to Point object. With this ability, DocumentDB can automatically detect GeoJSON fragments that contain Polygon and LineString objects within the documents, and index them for efficient spatial proximity queries, explains team azure.
The Virtual Cloud Defense (VCD) for Azure Government is now general available, that helps customers to deploy cost-effective cloud workload protection and security services to protect their data in the cloud.
In addition to this suite of core security services, Booz Allen can also tailor VCD architecture to provide additional services as it scales to meet the security requirements of both small and large organizations.
VCD is provided through the Azure Government Marketplace to meet Federal Government and DoD security and assurance requirements. Key features of Virtual Cloud Defense include:
- Encryption of Data at Rest: with native Azure and third-party solutions that offer encryption of cloud storage, data is protected from unintentional disclosure and malicious activity
- Network Traffic Inspection and Protection: in-line packet inspection and passive SSL decryption of traffic into and out of Azure Government, as well as between Azure virtual machines and virtual networks, detects and blocks intrusions and other malicious traffic
- Log Aggregation, Dashboards, and Analytics: the collection and analysis of security events and configurations range from network appliances, cloud infrastructure, operating systems, and applications to support security operations, auditing, and executive reporting
- Identity and Authentication Services: integration of these services with Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) supports Common Access Card (CAC) and multi-factor authentication for hosted applications and management functions
- Network Tiering: a framework for restricting traffic between zones, based on user-defined criteria, VCD’s network tiering provides logical network segregation of security zones, user planes, data planes, and management planes
- Deployment Automation: Azure Resource Manager expedites initial setup and configuration