The stable release of Chrome OS 21.0.1183.0, Platform version: 2465.127.0, released this week, for Chromebooks (Acer AC700, Samsung Series 5 550, Samsung Series 5, and Cr-48) and Samsung Chromebox Series 3 comes with “redesigned apps list experience” making it easier to access favorite apps and websites.
Google says, “the apps list is now much more compact, so you can access your apps without interrupting your browsing experience.” Also a new search box added at the top of the apps list, let you use it like an omnibox to search the web, specific websites, or the apps on your computer.
Also included in this released is “visual improvements such as a redesigned Cloud Print dialog and the ability to add custom wallpaper (for example, a picture of your cute little morkie).”
You can now also save files directly to Google Drive, so you can access files later from any device, including Drive on iOS or Android.
Under the hood, “audio support is now added for USB and HDMI, additional sandboxing security features.”
Here is a full list of updates in version 21:
- “Re-designed the App list to work alongside your browser and apps
- New Print UI
- Now, select your own custom wallpaper
- New, offline-capable Google Docs app
- Update Adobe Flash to version 184.108.40.206
- Flash Access Support
- Seccomp Flash sandbox
- New Shill connection manager
- WiMax support in Shill
- LTE Support for modem manager
- Support Standard USB audio devices
- Support wireless (bluetooth and others) Gamepads
- Update GTalk Plug-In to version 3.3.3
- Update Netflix Plug-in to version 2.0.5
- Kernel rebased to 3.4
- Gestures: support 3-finger tap/click as middle button
- Resolved issues Samsung users were experiencing with Verizon Wireless activation,” informs Xiyuan Xia, Software Engineer and Apps Connoisseur.
“Octane extends the former V8 Benchmark Suite with 5 new benchmarks created from full, unaltered, well-known web applications and libraries. A high score in the new benchmarks directly translates to better and smoother performance in similar web applications,” Google said.
Octane also has an interface that makes it easier to read and that adapts automatically to tablet and mobile screens. Here is an overview of the new extended tests:
- GB Emulator is derived from an open source emulator of a famous game console running a 3D demo.