At some point of time, you may have seen “Below first page bid” in the status column of your keywords. Given the CPC bid limit of $1 for Google Grants accounts, sometimes it’s frustrating for you to receive traffic, let alone clicks, on some of your valuable, but often more general keywords.
“Since Ad Rank takes into account your Quality Score and your bid when determining where your ad will show on Google Search, the status of “Below first page bid” means that your ads aren’t ranking as highly as they could on Google Search, which translates into less traffic to your site for a given keyword. One way to conquer “Below first page bid” status is through increasing Quality Score,” which you can do in a variety of ways is explained in this post.
Because Quality Score is affected by the historical performance of your account, changes you make may take some time to influence your Quality Score, but don’t be discouraged!
Diagnosis 1: Chosen keyword is too general.
Remedy: Focus only on what works.
- Add Negative Keywords to eliminate irrelevant impressions and improve your clickthrough rate. You can generate ideas for negative keywords by using the Search Term Report.
- Use the Keyword Tool to find more specific keywords. These’re typically more relevant to the user’s query and have a higher clickthrough rate than a more general keyword.
- Experiment with different Keyword Match Types by limiting matching on your keywords to a smaller set of user queries. On average, phrase match and exact match keywords can outperform broad match ones by limiting when your ads show to more relevant variations of your keywords.
Diagnosis 3: Competition is high.
Remedy: Focus on reaching your exact audience with a message relevant to them.
- Location target away! You can create a basic campaign, then customize it for each location that you target so that users in your target audience can see how relevant your ads are to them.
- Create ads that’ve your keywords in them – use Keyword Insertion ads to dynamically generate relevant ads.
- Boost clicks and clickthrough rate with Ad Extensions which’re the best fit for the goals of each campaign! For e.g., Ad Sitelinks extensions can give you more real estate on Search and give users the option of a variety of different landing pages; Location Extensions will show your organization’s geographic location in the ad text to help you focus on local searches.
Read here for more remedies.