For anyone who wants a primer on the security, privacy and reliability issues involved in the move to cloud computing, this video titled “Cloud Trust at 10,000 feet” featuring Doug Cavit, principal security program manager and chief security strategist at Microsoft, is worth a watch.
Beginning with the fundamental question “How do I know my data is safe in the cloud?,” Doug walks through the complexities of online identity, authentication, authorization and access.
He gives great insight into what any business should look for in a cloud provider — Do they have great security practices? Privacy practices? Are they reliable? Are their business practices fair and transparent? — and delves into how building the best possible processes with complete transparency is core to Microsoft’s cloud strategy, and to building trust among consumers and businesses for the cloud as a whole.
Here is the video timeline:
- [1:46] How do I know my data is safe in the cloud?
- [2:48] Who owns my identity in the cloud?
- [5:20] How do you make collaboration happen in the cloud when you have multiple service providers?
- [8:00] How do I truly know the data hosted at Microsoft is private and that I will have control over it?
- [11:21] What happens if something security-related goes wrong in the cloud?
- [15:00] Do you believe that people can truly trust the cloud and how?