The preview of the next iteration of Apple’s desktop operating system macOS Mojave, was demonstrated at the WWDC with new features inspired and designed for everyone.
Also, Apple previewed all-new Mac App Store that brings new redesigned look, rich editorial and apps from Microsoft, Adobe and others along side Apple TV 4K with tvOS 12.
Major update in the macOS Mojave adds dark mode that transforms the Mac desktop to a darkened color scheme that puts focus on user content and controls recede into the background. Mac apps, like Mail, Messages, Maps, Calendar and Photos all support this new color scheme.
Also, a new “Dynamic Desktop” available now automatically changes desktop picture to match the time of day, and through the new API developers will be able to implement Dark Mode in their apps.
Another prominent feature probably is the addition of iOS apps, including News, Stocks, Voice Memos and Home also made way into the Mac for the first time ever. Additionally, Apple provided a sneak peek of the Developer Framework for Mac Apps that will be available in late 2019, helping developers to bring their iOS apps to macOS.
A new Stacks feature made into this release organizes messy desktops by automatically stacking files into neat groups based on file type. Stacks can be customize based on other file attributes like date and tags.
An all-new Gallery View in Finder lets skim through files visually along with other significant update, including Preview Pane now shows file’s metadata, Quick Actions allow to create and password-protect PDFs and run custom Automator Actions on files, while Quick Look provides a full-size preview of a file, allowing users to rotate and crop images, mark up PDFs and trim video and audio clips without ever opening an app.
Group FaceTime makes it easier to start a chat with multiple people at the same time and participant views resizes based on how active they are. Participants can be added at any time while the conversation is still active and choose to join using video or audio from an iPhone, iPad or Mac — or even participate using FaceTime audio from Apple Watch.
Apple also has redesigned Mac App Store that features rich editorial content and new tabs for easier app discovery. New and updated apps are now highlighted in Discover tab, while tabs for Create, Work, Play and Develop help in finding apps for a specific project or purpose.
An image on new Mac App Store on a Mac screen:
Additionally, apps including Office from Microsoft, Lightroom CC from Adobe and more are coming soon to the Mac App Store.
Here are some other new features available in macOS Mojave:
- Screenshots comes with new on-screen controls for easy access to every screenshot option and new video recording capabilities. A streamlined workflow enables easy screenshot sharing without cluttering the desktop.
- Continuity Camera let users take a picture or scan a document nearby with their iPhone or iPad and have it appear instantly on their Mac.
- Markup tools integrated into Finder, Quick Look and Screenshots, making it fast and efficient to add comments to content and share with others.
Also, like iOS 12, Apple has baked in enhanced security in macOS Mojave, like
- Safari’s enhanced Intelligent Tracking Prevention block social media “Like” or “Share” buttons and comment widgets from tracking users without permission.
- Safari also now shows simplified system information when users browses web, preventing them from being tracked based on their system configuration.
- Safari now automatically creates, autofills and stores strong passwords when users create new online accounts and flags reused passwords so users can change them.
- New data protections require apps to get user permission before using the Mac camera and microphone or accessing personal data like user Mail history and Messages database.
Apple’s tvOS 12 previewed today takes the cinematic experience of Apple TV 4K to the next level with support for Dolby Atmos audio, and other convenient new features.
Later this year, “customers in nearly 50 million households will have access to live channels and tens of thousands of on-demand programs via an all-new Spectrum TV app on their Apple TV 4K, iPhone and iPad, seamlessly integrated with Siri and the Apple TV App,” stated Apple.
Apple TV 4K has been a hit since its debut last fall, offering customers the largest collection of 4K HDR movies, including free 4K HDR upgrades to previously purchased movies in customers’ iTunes libraries.
This fall, iTunes will be home to the largest collection of Dolby Atmos-supported movies anywhere, and these titles will also include Dolby Atmos audio for free.
With tvOS 12, Apple TV 4K will be the only streaming player both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos certified, delivering highest quality cinematic experience of stunning 4K HDR visuals and immersive sound that flows all around in three-dimensional space.
Charter Communications, the second-largest cable operator in the US, will begin offering Apple TV 4K to their customers. In addition, Charter will be offering iPhone and iPad to customers as they grow their mobile presence.
With tvOS 12, Apple further simplifies the single sign-on for Apple TV and iOS authentication process with introducing new “zero sign-on.”
Zero sign-on begins with Charter later this year will enable Apple TV detect user’s broadband network and automatically signs them in to all the supported apps they receive through their subscription — no typing required. It’ll expand to other providers over time.
Aerial screensavers with tvOS 12 unveiled brand new aerials shot from space by NASA astronauts. Apple is also collaborating with International Space Station National Lab and Center for Advancement of Science in Space,
tvOS 12 features for Apple TV 4K and Apple TV 4th generation make it even easier for customers to access shows and movies with additional features, such as:
- iOS 12 users can securely AutoFill passwords from iPhone and iPad to Apple TV to easily sign in to Apple TV apps.
- Apple TV Remote will be automatically added to Control Center on iPhone or iPad for Apple TV users, giving users quick access to Apple TV controls.
- Home control systems like Control4, Crestron and Savant can be used to control Apple TV, including using Siri for voice search and control.
As for the availability, developers can access a preview of the macOS Mojave from Apple Developer Program site, while public beta will be arriving in late June at beta.apple.com.
macOS Mojave will be available this fall as a free software update for Mac introduced in mid-2012 or later, plus 2010 and 2012 Mac Pro models.