Apple has taken a remarkable three places on a new list of the 20 coolest brands in the United Kingdom.
The Top 20 CoolBrands list was headed by Aston Martin, but Apple took second place with iPod, seventh with its main brand, and nineteenth with iTunes.
Other tech brands to make the list were YouTube (3), Bang & Olufson (4) Google (5), PlayStation (6), Nintendo (9), eBay (13) and Amazon (20).
An initial ‘shortlist’ of almost 1200 brands was presented to the 26 members of the independent and voluntary CoolBrands Council, predominantly marketers, designers and journalists. After council members had scored each brand, the top 625 were voted on by a 3265-member consumer panel.
Both the council and the panel were asked to consider whether the brands were stylish, innovative, original, authentic, desirable and unique when scoring.
The two sets of scores were combined, with a 70 percent weighting to the council and 30 percent to the panel.
Aston Martin and Apple (in any guise) failed to make the CoolBrands list at all in 2005, and nor did any online brands. PlayStation was the only tech brand to remain ‘fully cool’ – BlackBerry, Bose, Denon, Leica, Nokia, Roberts Radio and Sony Ericsson were featured in 2005 and stayed on the extended list in 2007. Gizmondo and Teac ran out of cool during the last two years.
For the record, here are the top 20 CoolBrands and their categories.
1. Aston Martin (Automotive – Supercars)
2. iPod (Technology – General)
3. YouTube (Online – General)
4. Bang & Olufsen (Technology – General)
5. Google (Online – General)
6. Playstation (Leisure & Entertainment – Games & Toys)
7. Apple (Technology – General)
8. Agent Provocateur (Fashion – Lingerie)
9. Nintendo (Leisure & Entertainment – Games & Toys)
10. Virgin Atlantic (Travel – General)
11. Ferrari (Automotive – Supercars)
12. Ducati (Automotive – Motorbikes)
13. eBay (Online – General)
14. Rolex (Fashion – Accessories, Jewellery, Watches)
15. Tate Modern (Leisure & Entertainments – UK Attractions & The Arts)
16. Prada (Fashion – Designer)
17. Lamborghini (Automotive – Supercars)
18. Green & Black’s (Food)
19. iTunes (Online – General)
20. Amazon (Online – Retail)
Apple, iPod, iTunes, CoolBrands, Product Rating, Top Product