Are you a Windows Insider and have you downloaded Build 14393.67 yet? Microsoft had just last week said that it will begin the commencement of Anniversary Update for Windows 10 Mobile on August 16, it has began rolling out to unlocked phones.
In addition, just few hours later, a cumulative update was also released to PCs and phones in the Release Preview ring rather than slow and Fast rings.
If you are not aware, Release Preview ring was designed for cumulative updates, but typically all rings receive them if there’s no new full build is available.
On PC, KB3176932, a cumulative update that mostly contains bug fixes and some small improvements launched.
Additonally, Microsoft also released today the new Skype preview to Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update users.
The new Skype app right into Windows 10 Mobile brings in a series of advantages, including support for quick replies straight from the action center.
“Since Skype Preview is built into Windows 10, you can reply to messages directly from notifications without having to open the app via quick reply,” the company explains.
Additionally the updated UI now take advantage of the Windows 10 look and feel. However, if you prefer the light background version of Skype, you can go to settings and select ‘Light theme’ under Personalization.
And, on the mobile the build 14393.67 will be pushed today to unlocked devices, to officially supported Windows 10 Mobile devices.
However, carrier-locked Windows phone will have to wait a bit, or unless you sign up for the Insider Program.
Some new features added to the Anniversary Update include:
- Wallet now supports tap-to-pay—for NFC payments on Lumia 650, 950, or 950 XL.
- Camera improvements such as panorama feature.
- New UWP Skype Preview app now also supports light and dark themes.
So, if your device is on the Insider Program, you already have it. However, for the Fast ring, a Redstone 2 builds should be coming soon.
And, to grab the update manually, move to Settings -> Update & security -> Phone update -> Check for updates.
In other mobile releated news, Office Mobile apps v17.7167 for those on the Windows Insider Preview builds is available now with the following new features:
- Format cells as special data types in Excel Mobile* Improve readability by formatting numbers as zip code, phone number, or Social Security number. *This feature is available in EN-US only.
- Math made easy with OneNote on Windows tablet Write out an equation, and OneNote will help you solve it step-by-step. It’s like having your own Math coach.
- Editable ink for all your OneNote needs on Windows tablet Change your ink’s thickness and color even after the ink has dried.
Finally, Microsoft Internet Explorer turns 21 today on August 16. The company had launched the first version of IE i.e. Internet Explorer 1 on August 16, 1995.
Internet Explorer was released in the Windows 95 era and quickly managed to beat the leading most popular browser of that time “Netscape”.
Today, Microsoft Edge that was first introduced with Windows 10 has today become a brand new browser built on the Universal Windows Platform.