Google’s rolling out new Android Market client to all devices running Android 1.6 or higher, introducing important features that improve applications merchandising, streamline the browse-to-purchase experience, and make it easier for developers to distribute apps.
- To improve discoverability and merchandising, a new carousel is added on the home and category screens. Users can quickly flip through the carousel to view promoted apps and immediately go to download page.
- Two new categories for Widgets and Live Wallpapers are introduced. Applications that include Widgets and Wallpapers will be automatically added to new categories. Will also be adding more categories for popular apps and games in the weeks ahead.
- Applications details page now includes Related content, which makes it easier for users to quickly find apps of similar interest.
- To streamline the browse-to-purchase experience, users can now access all the information about an app on a single page.
- Application content rating is introduced that provide users with more information about apps they’re interested in.
- Will be reducing the refund window on Market to 15 minutes. This change will be largely transparent to buyers, but will help developers manage their businesses more effectively.
- To make it easier for developers to distribute and manage their products, we will introduce support for device targeting based on screen sizes and densities, as well as on GL texture compression formats.
- Also increasing the maximum size for .apk files on Market to 50MB, to better support richer games.