Google AdSense team has called on AdSense Publishers to prepare their web sites / blogs for the holidays, by taking advantage of placement targeting to allow advertisers to directly target your site, as the premium brand-name AdWords advertisers are preparing for the season by increasing their marketing budgets and scheduling targeted campaigns.
“While all sites are eligible for placement targeting, there are things you can do to help increase the amount of placement targeted ads on your site”:
First, turn your custom channels into ad placements. “Be sure to fill out a well-written title and description to help potential advertisers understand the audiences they’ll reach by bidding on your site. Some details to include in the description are your site name, vertical, ad position, ad size and site demographic,” explains Google.
“Custom channels allow you to track the performance of specific groups of ad units. You design your own custom channels and use them to view performance of ad units in ways that are meaningful to you.”
How do I make an ad placement?
You can create a custom channel that is also a targetable ad placement by following these steps:
- Sign in to your account.
- Under the My ads tab, visit the Custom channels page.
- Click the name of the channel you’d like to make targetable. Or, click “New custom channel”.
- In the Targeting section, check the box.
- Enter the requested details:
- Ads appear on: Note where ads in this placement appear on your site — on the homepage, or on other types of pages.
- Ad location: Select the location on the page where ads in this placement appear. For example, you might make a placement featuring ads in the top right of your pages.
- Description: Advertisers will see the name and description, so provide an accurate and informative summary that will represent your site well.
- Site language: The primary language of your site content.
- Click “Save”. Advertisers will soon see your ad placement among the available places on which to display their ads.
For more details on Ad Placement, visit this AdSense Help Page.
AdSense Optimization: Opt-in to Placement Targeting:
Next, ensure you are using the “most successful” ad units: 336×280 Large Rectangle, the 300×250 Medium Rectangle, and the 160×600 Wide Skyscraper — and are placing them in optimal positions. Learn more about how you can upgrade to high-performing ad units in the video below:
Finally, claim your site in Ad Planner.
“Following these steps will help advertisers find your site to target and choose where to place their ads on a specific section or area. Placement targeted ads typically receive much higher RPMs, which results in higher earnings for you,” added Google.
For more information, just follow the instructions in Help Center.