Details of the Microsoft’s next Zune portable media players Looks to challenge Apple’s iPod leaked out over the weekend, earlier than Microsoft had been planning, thanks to a product listing and description on Frys.com. The features include a number of enhancements to Zune’s wireless functions.
- Buy from FM: “Listen to your favorite FM radio stations and click to tag the songs you like for later purchase when you sync your device with your PC.”
- Wireless Sync: “Connect to your home wireless network and remotely sync your Zune device with your PC collection from your dock, AC adapter, or speaker dock accessory.”
- Device to Cloud: “Access thousands of wireless hotspots around the country to automatically update your collection, browse Zune Marketplace, refresh Channels, exchange favorites with friends, or buy songs you’ve tagged from your FM radio.”
Microsoft announced that “free, powerful software and firmware updates will give Zune owners the ability to discover, tag and purchase songs directly from the built-in FM radio, wirelessly access the Zune Marketplace store on the go, and tap into interactive, personalized music recommendations that add even more value to the Zune Pass subscription. Zune is also expanding its device lineup with new 16GB and 120GB capacities as well as shiny new blue-on-silver and sleek all-black color schemes. The new features will begin rolling out on Sept. 16, 2008.”
Zune will bring new features customers have been asking for:
- Games on the go. Two free games, “Hexic” and “Texas Hold ’Em,” will keep users entertained on the go.
- Audiobooks. All Zune devices will feature support for audiobooks this fall from industry leaders in the digital distribution of audiobook content.
- Audible. Customers can visit audible.com to download and sync favorite books from the 50,000 titles available from over 600 publishers and content providers.
- OverDrive. They can download content from sites powered by overdrive.com, including 7,500 libraries’ Web sites worldwide. (http://search.overdrive.com)
Device Pricing Information Effective Sept. 16
120 GB: $249.99
80 GB: $229.99 (3)
16 GB: $199.00
8 GB: $149.99
4 GB: $129.99 (3)
More info: Zune Press Release