Google Docs today received support for archive file types ZIP and RAR. "Now, when someone sends you a ZIP or RAR file in Gmail, you'll be able to view its contents from within your browser by clicking on View," blogged Avner Aviad, Google Docs Viewer team.
This will bring up a view that includes all of the files in the archive, the file types, and the size of those files. "When you hover over the list you can activate a menu by clicking Actions. You'll be able to View items supported by Google Docs Viewer and Print (PDF) those that we offer PDF support. Save to Google Docs and Download appear for all files," Avaid stated.
"ZIP and RAR archives that are embedded inside other archives also work. For example, if you have a RAR file inside a ZIP file (like in our example above) you can just click on that file to access the embedded archive."
This feature extends to Google Docs for mobile, too. For each viewable file (including embedded ZIP or RAR archives) there is a link to view.
Go ahead and try the feature by viewing a ZIP file.
In a news releated, the Google Docs help center is now restructured. Here's a look at the new categories you'll find on the help center homepage:
- Get started: Information about documents, spreadsheets, and more for new Google Docs users.
- Work in Google Docs: Home to all help articles on editing and formatting, including content about Google documents and spreadsheets.
- Manage, upload, and export: All help articles that were previously categorized as "Documents List." Here, you'll find information about file management, uploading and exporting, and Google Cloud Connect.
- Share, publish, and embed: Information about sharing and publishing all in one place, since sharing is exactly the same no matter which type of doc you're working in.
- Accounts, abuse, and privacy: Home to help articles about your Google Account, Google Docs settings, reporting abuse, and privacy policies.
- Mobile: All help articles that relate to working in Google Docs on a mobile device.
- Template gallery: Information about how to navigate the template gallery, use and submit templates, and report inappropriate templates.
- Fix a problem: Houses information about known issues and how to solve a problem.
[Source: Docs blog]