At YamJam '12, Yammer, enterprise social network -- now part of the Microsoft Office Division, just announced a new App Directory and platform, called "Enterprise Graph," that offers standard components to more easily build social networking features, such as feeds, profiles, following and likes, into business applications.
The key components of the new platform include:
- Embeddable feeds available for virtually any business object, such as a record, document, opportunity or other piece of data. Previously, Yammer offered embeddable feeds only for Groups and individuals. The new object feeds allow applications to easily include conversations about business data in context.
- Embeddable Follow and Like buttons now available inside virtually any business application to track updates from business objects.
- Pages -- similar to Profiles for people, Pages are profiles for business objects. "Pages show recent activity, followers and conversations. By using Yammer Embed, the same information appears on the business object's Web page in the original application." (A note-taking application in Yammer previously called Pages has been renamed Notes.)
- App Directory now lists third-party applications that take advantage of the Yammer platform after they have been reviewed by Yammer to ensure they meet certain privacy and security criteria. It is now easier than ever for enterprise users to discover and install apps inside Yammer.
Yammer also announced a native integration with Microsoft Dynamics CRM, that allows CRM customers to extend Yammer's social functionality into the application by embedding Yammer feeds, as well as Follow and Like buttons into specific CRM records.
In addition, once someone takes an action on a record, a Page is automatically created in Yammer where employees can discuss, follow and collaborate on that record.
New integrations include the following:
- "GoodData. A leading BizData Monetization platform pulls data from Yammer and other enterprise apps to deliver meaningful business insights to customers and enable them to monetize their data.
- Kudos. The peer-to-peer recognition platform posts an update in Yammer's Ticker when a colleague sends Kudos to another user, calling out their work using characteristics such as strategic, helpful, creative or reliable. Each Kudos message recognizes the colleagues sending and receiving Kudos, the level of recognition ranging from Thank You to Exceptional, key characteristics, and values demonstrated.
The integration also utilizes Yammer Connect to seamlessly authenticate users based on their Yammer login credentials. With the Kudos browser add-ons, Yammer users can easily give Kudos to anyone at any time, enhancing corporate culture and improving employee engagement.
- Salesforce.com records to appear as activity stories in Ticker, users can now embed record-specific Yammer feeds inside the Salesforce.com application. All Yammer conversations related to a given account, opportunity or campaign can now be viewed as a single feed.
- WorkSimple. The social performance management platform publishes an activity story in Ticker when an employee creates a social goal, sets a team focus or gives social recognition. Co-workers can easily share what they are working on, showcase accomplishments and offer praise. Managers also benefit by establishing a culture of feedback, recognition and results. WorkSimple is offering a Yammer edition of its product to Yammer customers for free, available in Yammer's App Directory."
Finally, it also integrates with multiple security partners and adopts EDRM standard for data export. This integration expand the product's e-discovery, data archiving and single sign-on offerings. New security integration partners include the following:
- Okta. The on-demand identity and access management service allows companies to control user access to all cloud and on-premises enterprise applications. Customers can now harness Okta to seamlessly provision and de-provision users from Yammer.
- Smarsh. The software-as-a-service-based message archiving and compliance service captures nearly all Yammer communications, enabling customers to preserve, search, supervise and produce data for e-discovery needs.
- Symantec. Yammer integrates with Symantec's Clearwell eDiscovery Platform. Administrators are now able to export Yammer data directly into Clearwell, where data collected from other enterprise systems is aggregated for ease of discovery.