From the Yahoo! Maps and Local Blog:Based on a lot of user input, the latest update we’ve made to the Broadband version of Yahoo! Maps is to the Driving Directions print page. The new format of the “Printable Version” allows for an interactive experience that simply put, makes them more useful and easier to read.
Here are some of the coolest new features of the interactive printable maps:
- Change the font size of the driving directions between Small, Medium, or Large — one font size does not always fit all!
- Choose among Map & Directions, Map Only, or Directions only to save space and ink, and you can remove the summary and notes for a more compact set of directions.
- Remove individual steps in your directions, like how to get from your house to the freeway, if they’re not important to you.
- Clicking “Show Cumulative Distance” will allow you to get a cumulative mile-post for each maneuver, great for people who use their odometer. Just set it at the beginning of your journey.
- Change your included map layout from one to three panels, including total route, the start point, and the end point.
Finally, the post credits the Yahoo! Local and Maps suggestion board!.
Greg Sterling — “Why do I mention this? I mention it because these kind of day-to-day incremental improvements and upgrades are what help make local products more useful and more used. This kind of thing is way below the general consumer radar (and press radar) but these small improvements are important in the long run.”