Yahoo’s open-source alternative to Microsoft Exchange Server, “Zimbra” has announced the release of Zimbra Collaboration Suite 5.0. The latest release features innovative enterprise-class services, including BlackBerry and Outlook 2007 support, plus new Web 2.0 IM and Task Applications - extending Yahoo!'s leadership in e-mail services.
Enhancements in ZCS 5.0 extend Zimbra's best-of-breed anywhere access on the desktop, including support for Microsoft Outlook 2007, and on virtually any device, with support for BlackBerry Enterprise Server, J2ME-enabled handsets such as the Motorola RAZR, and a new version of ZCS for mobile web browsers. New features in the award-winning Zimbra AJAX Web client include instant messaging, briefcase, and task applications as well as Zimbra Desktop, the world's first offline-capable Web 2.0 collaboration experience.
"Zimbra has the broadest device and desktop support options of any e-mail and collaboration solution, plus advanced Web 2.0 features in the browser," said Dervilla Mullan, head of Eircom Online, Eircom. "For Eircom, its superior features match our consumer and small business customers' needs and support our monetization model better than any alternative we evaluated."
"Support for BlackBerry Enterprise Server is a huge advantage for Zimbra. From a business standpoint, it's the last box to check in a product evaluation, and Zimbra is the only open platform that offers it," said David Smith, group technical director, Gyro International Ltd.
New features in ZCS 5.0 include:
- Native e-mail, contacts, calendar, and task synchronization from Zimbra to Outlook 2007
- Access Zimbra on all BlackBerry handsets, J2ME enabled devices, or any mobile web browser, including the Apple iPhone
- Zimbra Tasks monitor start and due dates, priority, progress, and percent complete of tasks
- Built directly into ZCS, Web-based Instant Messaging supports multiple conversations and group chats
- Conveniently store any file from an e-mail in Zimbra Briefcase instead of as an e-mail attachment; easily share Briefcase folders with others
- Work online or offline with Zimbra Desktop, the AJAX experience for Zimbra users and users of existing POP and IMAP e-mail servers
- Share inboxes and e-mail folders with others, including the ability to provide read- only-access or allow others to completely manage
- Fifteen fully certified languages ship within ZCS for end-users to choose
Yahoo!, Zimbra, Blackberry, Outlook, Exchange Server, Ajax, Collaboration Suite, Announcement, Release