As a defense-in-depth precaution for customers, Microsoft is release an update to further harden the Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). "As an additional measure, we are providing the SHA1 and SHA2 hashes of the WSUS update and the WU client files we released today. This allows administrators to verify that the files they download are from Microsoft," Microsoft's WSUS team stated.
"This Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) 3.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2) update strengthens the WSUS communication channels. This includes only trusting files that are issued by the Microsoft Update certification authority," the WSUS team wrote.
"We strongly urge WSUS administrators to apply these updates as soon as possible to take advantage of the added security they offer."
The hashes are listed in the following update Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
- Apply Security Advisory Update 2718704, issued on June 3, which moved unauthorized digital certificates derived from a Microsoft Certificate Authority to the Untrusted Store.
- Apply the WSUS update, issued on June 08, see KB 2720211.
And, the following KB articles describe the issues that are included in this update:
- 2530678 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2530678/ ) System Center Update Publisher does not publish customized updates to a computer if WSUS 3.0 SP2 and the .Net Framework 4.0 are installed
- 2530709 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2530709/ ) "Metadata only" updates cannot be expired or revised in WSUS 3.0 SP2
- Consider the following scenario:
- You connect to Windows Update through a network proxy that uses HTTPS or SSL content inspection.
- An intermediate server is in between the SSL traffic of the client and Windows Update.
For a list of URLs and domains to exclude, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
885819 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885819/ ) You experience problems when you access the Windows Update Version 6 Web site through a server that is running ISA Server
- If you install the executable file (.exe) manually, you will have to restart the computer for the update to be applied.
- Remote Microsoft SQL Server administrators must download and install the update by using an account that has SQL Administrator permissions.
- The update requires that Windows Internal Database or SQL Server is running.
Also, released today is the Windows PowerShell 3.0 and Server Manager Quick Reference Guides, short-teremed as Quick Reference (or also called as "cheat sheet") helps IT professionals and scripting enthusiasts who want to learn tips, shortcuts, common operations, limitations, and proper syntax for using Windows PowerShell 3.0 and Server Manager in Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate.
- PowerShell_LangRef_v3.pdf - This four-page reference describes operators, arrays, useful commands, methods, and other tips for using Windows PowerShell 3.0. Also included is a Windows PowerShell reading and tutorial resource list.
- PowerShell_ISE_v3.pdf - This two-page reference describes keyboard shortcuts and hotkeys that you can use to navigate Windows PowerShell Integrated Scripting Environment (ISE) more quickly, and introduces the new ISE object model. Also included are tips for configuring $ps.ISE options, profiles, and properties.
- PowerShell_Examples_v3.pdf - This two-page reference describes how to perform popular IT management and scripting tasks by using Windows PowerShell 3.0, including how to fetch data by using Management OData IIS Services, how to schedule jobs, how to install Windows PowerShell Web Access by using Windows PowerShell cmdlets, and how to create new SMB file shares.
- Quick_Reference_SM_WS12.pdf - This two-page reference describes common tasks that you can perform in the new Server Manager console in Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate. Quickly learn how to manage remote servers that are running older versions of Windows Server by using the new Server Manager; how to run Server Manager deployment cmdlets for Windows PowerShell; how to save and export Server Manager settings, such as the servers you have added to the server pool, and custom server groups that you have created; where to find Server Manager log files; how to run popular WinRM commands such as creating a new listener; how to install roles and features on offline VHDs; and where to find documentation to help you manage multiple, remote servers by using Server Manager and Windows PowerShell.
Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Component Architecture Poster provides a visual reference for understanding key Hyper-V technologies in Windows Server 2012 and focuses on Hyper-V Replica, networking, virtual machine mobility (live migration), storage, failover clustering, and scalability.
- Update for Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 (KB2720211) Download the package now.
- Update for Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 for x64-based Systems (KB2720211) Download the package now.
- Windows PowerShell 3.0 and Server Manager Quick Reference Guides
- Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Component Architecture Poster (PDF)