Nick reports that Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) will be released to Automatic Updates shortly. The third service pack to Windows XP includes the previously released updates and hotfixes to Windows XP, creating a new baseline for servicing.
If you wish to prevent users from installing Windows XP SP3 through Automatic Updates, Microsoft recommends you take one or more of the following steps:
1. Download and deploy the Windows Service Pack Blocker Kit. The Blocker Toolkit is available in the Microsoft Download Center.
2. Deploy an update management solution that provides full control over the updates you deploy to computers in your network (Compare Update Management Solutions). IT Administrators using an update management solution should use their product’s standard features, rather than the Blocker Toolkit, to control SP1 distribution.
Additional Information: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Tech Center
Update Management Solutions: TechNet Update Management Center
Update Management Solutions:
- TechNet Update Management Center
- Comparing MBSA, MU, WSUS, and SMS 2003/System Center Configuration Manager 2007
- Windows Server Update Services
- Systems Management Server 2003/System Center Configuration Manager 2007